Windshield Trim

JimGolden

Hi,

I have put my SC back on the road after being parked for many years. Just got a new set of BFG V-rated tires for it. Well, my windshield seems to be leaking up by the top corners. I popped the trim off and couldn't see any cracks. But, I squirted some 3M windshield sealant down in there and put the trim back on. Now it leaks worse than ever. So whatever was leaking, I must have loosened it up even worse by pulling the trim off.

Now, Issue 2 is that the trim looks awful. It's the T-shaped metal with the rubber coating on the outside. The rubber has completely deteriorated. I called Ford and they said DISCONTINUED. I've looked all over the web and can't find one of these. I replaced the one on the back glass about ten years ago.

Do you guys know where I could buy a piece of upper windshield moulding? Does anybody make a repro of it? Can I get my OEM one re-rubbered? Please help.

Thanks!

Jim

PS As an aside, I popped the trim off last night to take another look and managed to crack the windshield....so maybe when I get a new windshield put in that will fix the leak....but I'd appreciate any wisdom here as well.

Go to a local U Pull it junk yard and find it. As far as the black rubberized paint, it's garbage anyway. I stripped mine off and repainted it after scuffing it up with some 100 grit. Just about every part on these money pit cars is discontinued. Welcome to the world of the basturd children. AKA SC owners....

Well, I've almost done that too; scraped off what was loose and hit it with a black spray can. But the rubber extends out further than the metal on the lower surface, almost like a seal to the glass.

If I can't find one, then I'll scrape it all off properly and paint it properly.

I've had this car since 1994; bought it still under warranty and I'm the second owner. I've come close to selling it a couple times, but I'm attached to it; problematic as it is. It's a real BEAR to change the plugs on.... Oh well, it's got a lot more soul than my '04 Saturn had :)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jim

Back