Drag Tire selection advice

rzimmerl

So decided to get some new tires over the 255/50-16 ET Street Radials I had. I have the mph to run alot faster ET, 119-120, but my 1.7 60fts. I think are killing it. The ET streets are about 26" tire and I'm going thru the traps at around 5700 rpm, so I don't think I would want to go to a 28" tire? Also the tire will need to fit a 16" rim I think as I will will be getting Cobra rear brakes this winter. Should I go with fill slick or a DOT bias ply radial? What section width is recommended for the stock 7" rim?

ET street (bias ply) is offered in 26" (10.5 and 11.5 section) and 28" diam, ET drag only in 28, and Hoosier slick in 28".

Its an AOD with 3.73 rear also.

A bias ply full slick is where the traction is, your selection will be very limited due to you needing a 16" rim for larger brakes. M/T 's are probably be what you'll have to get.

I would try the hoosier quick time pro's 26x9.5x16. 17431 part number

I know i couldn't hook for crap this past weekend with the MT et streets, but Keith was still rocking with the hoosier drags. The hoosier drags are awesome but only in 28"x16.

I believe Neibert has the quick time pros. You can ask him how they do most of the time.

The MT's I have are fine most of the time. 28x11.5x16

i dont know, id stick with the stock size brakes upgrade to a different caliper or something. then go with a 15" rim. you dont want the sidewall in the slick to be to short. not going to get far with a 7" rim either.
on the other hand whats wrong with the m/t et street radials? i see cars run mid 8 second sub 1 sec 60' times on those tires.

I know i couldn't hook for crap this past weekend with the MT et streets, but Keith was still rocking with the hoosier drags.

Chris,
It was you and Sherm who made me a believer in the Hoosiers and you're right.....they do hook up even in conditions like we had at Kil-Kare.

Are LX wheels also 7" wide? I have some fan wheels. I am looking at tires, just want to make sure I understand correctly that I'm better off looking for my 15" wheels and not the 16" ones. Also, tires for a 15" tend to be cheaper I think.

Last edited:
Too bad MT did away with the 27" tire they used to sell. I think I might have bought the last set of 27" ET Streets in the country right before the 2009 Shootout. No way a 28" tire will fit on my car without some fender modifications and/or new springs.

While I know a true drag tire will help, but I still like participating in Street Tire events....although, until Gateway reopens this doesn't matter much.

I'm running the 27x10.5x16 MT E/T Streets and am not that happy with them. Being larger than the 26" I in effect lost some gear and my et's slowed by .2 sec. I switched my 3.55's out for 3.73's and picked it back up but they spin too easy. My best 60' was 1.749 with the 3.73's but usually run a mid 1.8 when I hook. If I spin my 60' falls into the 1.9's or even worse the 2.0's. I'm also chirping the tires on every shift and moving around a little so I know I'm not getting good traction on the top end. I'm switching back to a 26" tire next time. I have also heard that the Hoosiers hook the best. I haven't found an acceptable 15" rim to run full slicks either.

Zim, get the 28/10 Pro's and slap some 4.10's in it. Done.

I have 4.10's with 28/10.50/15 Hoosiers and I like them alot, they hook great. 4.10's with my 26.5" tall street tires isn't too bad but it's not a 70 mph interstate car for sure.

Chris Vinning also runs 4.10's and 28" tall tires.

Last edited:
What is the RPM increase of 4.10 over the 3.73's? You know I drive this thing a alot on the street, and times its on the interstate for up to 200 miles sometimes. That is my holdback about getting 4.10 gear for 28" tires I guess.

Last edited:
On the highway your 4.10's will act just like the 3.55's did in my 5spd. I drove thousands upon thousands of highway miles like that. The motor actually quietens down at 2400-2500rpm. No drone at all.

Back