Replacing dipstick tube

Nando559

I have a 1990 Thunderbird SC Auto. My original engine oil dipstick tube broke off. I don't know when but whoever broke it had put some type of grey putty to hold it together:mad: I bought a replacement tube from a fellow member on here. The difference is that the tube I bought has 2 stop bumps at the bottom and my original one has only 1.:confused: I put the replacement all the way to the bump closest to the top and when I went to check my oil..the dipstick tip is broken off!:( It sounds stupid but what should I do? I know I need to replace the dipstick. Are all Thunderbird dipsticks the same length? Should I pull the dipstick tube up to the first bump?

Another thing is I noticed is my STOCK engine oil pressure gauge would drop all the way and check gauges would light up. Then it would raise back to normal..and it would do this throughout the drive. I thought it was a "dummy" gauge?:confused:

ANY HELP is GREATLY apperciated!:D

-Fernando

..I DID use the search tool to try and find my answers but no luck. So don't get the idea that I haven't done my research on this

Last edited:
I think 2 ribs are normal. Having only one sounds like the end has broken off in the past and some just shoved the old down into the hole.

Be sure there aren't any stubs in the hole before you put the fresh one in...use a bit of gasket sealer on the end to help seal it, then work it down until the first rib is flush/tight.

Last one I did was 95% seated and I had to gently use a small blunt punch (nothing sharp) on the lower rib to get it fully seated. Just one tap.

Also be sure the upper bracket is at the correct angle when you put the tube into the hole..don't twist when it's already in or you'll soon have a matched set of broken tubes and fresh oil/vent leaks :)

Thanks for the help!;)

I guess I gotta pull the tube out and reinstal it not so deep.
Do you know if all Thunderbird dipsticks are the same?

-Fernando

Back