Years For Auto Climate Control ?

TwoTimeSC

Anyone know what years the "Automatic Climate Control" was installed as an option?

I have a '90 SC and have looked through every book I can get my hands on...even the books the dealer's salesmen used and I can't seem to find that feature as an available option in 1990.

When did Ford start using it in MN-12's ?

Auto Climate Control

Automatic Climate Control was only available on 1991 and up models.

The 1989-1990 models came with just standard lever for temp control.

Hope this helps....

Don

:)

'91's are just looking better and better! ;)

Wonder if this is something you can add? Did the other models in '90 offer it? Maybe it's wired for it?

Thanks for the help!

I was thinking if it was possible to convert my '90 to Auto Climate Control, I'd give it a shot.

I know that there are three additional sensors needed:

Sunload sensor on top of dash.
Interior temp sensor inside the dash.
Exterior temp sensor on passenger side close to the radiator.

There must also be some special vacuum motors and probably wiring harnesses for it. Guess I'll just have to browse through the '91 and up Ford Microfiches to see if I can find everything that's unique to that system.

It may be more trouble than what it's worth....

Thanks for the input!

I was in the junkyard the other day trying to do this swap between two LX thunderbirds. I figure might as well practice on those instead of my SC. The HVAC (the housing for heater and evap cores, and fan) is different between climate and non climate control cars. The wiring harnesses are completely different. There are four wiring connectors coming out of the auto unit vs. two connectors on the standard unit. The blend door motor is really hard to get to and some of the dash where the climate control unit is has to be disaaembled. There is a temp duct hose that runs next to the instrument trim so that has to be changed. There is additional blower motor fan speed module and wiring that needs to be added as only low amp wiring is in the auto unit. It could be done if you made up your entire wiring harness and were willing to remove the dash assembly.

I would buy a 91 or newer SC instead. I wouldn't add auto climate control to my 89 SC even during a restoration as this would kill any future resale value. Only Mint original SCs will be worth any money in the next 15 to 20 years.

This is not plug and play.

Send me the pics of your auto climate control in your 89 SC. I want to see this. I have heard that someones Couagr XR7 had auto climate control and it was a 90 I beleive. I didn't see it or proof though. You don't have a Canadian model do you?

Since no T-Birds or Cougars got Auto climate control before 91 this doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for the informative reply Shockwave.

Looks like I'll just give it up on the conversion. I'm not too concerned on keeping the Bird bone stock for resale value purposes. I plan to keep this thing for a Loooong time and I'm more concerned with making it the most pleasant to drive that I can make it. (Hence the conversion to Auto Climate)

I had an '89 that did not have it either so I'm really curious that BARTHWY59 has said he has the option on his '89.

I've looked in the:

'90 Shop Manual
'90 EVTM
'90 Car Wiring Diagrams Manual
'90 Thunderbird Sales Brochure
'90 Ford Salesperson's Source Book
'90 Ford Car Facts Book
'90 Owner's Manual

and I don't find a reference to Auto-Climate as an available option in any of those publications.

Who Knows....

Can't imagine why you'd want the automatic climate control. I am finding it to be super annoying. I guess I prefer the big note series ... blue for colder red for warmer and a nice little twist knob to determine how quickly it gets there.... (or not a twist knob ;-) )

Back