Master Clutch cylinder issue -roll pin-

flynbrd

How are you suppose to get a punch down to the roll pin on the master clutch cylinder. Its disconnected on the inside at the peddle and we can move it out after turning it. However there's no good angle to get punch and hammer in? The roll pin taunts us! Would it be easier to disconnect from the tranny and pull the master up with the line attached? is that even possible?

Thanks

The roll pin taunts us! Would it be easier to disconnect from the tranny and pull the master up with the line attached? is that even possible?

Easier is all relative. To get the roll pin out you need to make sure the side opposite of you striking doesn't move. If the assembly can move when you hit it, you'll never get the roll pin out.

Getting the clutch line off the trans is mechanically easy, but can be technically challenging. It uses a leak proof fitting (wont' leak when disconnected) and it's retention is via a ring of spring steel teeth. There should be a flat nylon ring surrounding the male side of the fitting. It will be all black when you start. That nylon ring needs to be coaxed towards the transmission while the fitting is pressed firmly into the female section. As this ring slips forward, it pushes the spring steel teeth out of the way, allowing the fitting to be removed.

Even with the ring slipped all the way forward, the fitting can be hard to extract as it has a close machine tolerance and can become trapped in the bore of the female fitting if you pull on it off center.

Typically, pulling the clutch line off the trans is easier than trying to create a fixture to push that roll pin out above.

I bought a pair of real long handle, long nose pliers with a small hoop on the end from Harbor Freight. I use it to remove vacuum hoses in hard to reach places. I ground the ends of the hoop down so they would fit into the hole where the roll pin goes. One hoop end goes into the hole on one side and the other end goes around the cylinder. When I squeeze the handles together it pushes the pin out.

Back