Key Cutting Tip

sdw

Since I just went and got keys cut for my t'bird. I thought I would share this in case people don't know. If you do I apologize in advance. :eek:

Ford keys, at least the 80's and 90's are ambidextrous they are cut exactly the same on both sides.

But

You only need one side to work the ignition / locks.

So

If you have two Fords, like an 89' Ranger and a '91 SC you can have one side of the key cut for one car and the other side cut for the second one.

Saves having a second key on the key chain.

This even works for my trunk key on the SC and the door key on the ranger.

Regards

Sean

Yup! Just have to remember to insert your key right-side up (or down:rolleyes:) in each vehicle.

I haven't bothered to try it out, but have thought about it before.

What I would really like to do is swap a trunk lock from a car that uses the same ignition and trunk keys...then you only need one key per car. :D I haven't really checked into it, but my dad has an old 80's LTD (the smaller one) that was a special police package...it uses the same key for the doors, ignition, and trunk.

there is another way..one key fits all??

If you have or know someone that works at Ford you can take him the lock cyclinder and get it rekeyed to match the other car. This way you only need one key to fit more than one car. I did a bunch of my trucks to all use the same key. It sure makes it a lot easier to move a bunch of cars or trucks if you have them all keyed alike.....Rich...

Just have to remember to insert your key right-side up (or down) in each vehicle.

I always have the key guy cut a notch on one side of the handle end of the key so I know which way to put it into the cylinder.

Sean

Back