PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete Forward Strut Rod Sleeves

DLF
10-08-2011, 02:33 AM
FWIW, I've designed and made replacement (improved design) stainless steel sleeves for the (obsolete from Ford) forward strut rod bushings.

Details HERE (http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77865).

XxSlowpokexX
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Doug you know I buy everything you make..Why you no tell me lol. Iv eactually never replaced my strut rod bushings. Id be up for a set.

sc91gt
10-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I've taken my car to two shops. first shop totally fubared just about eveything. second shop said first shop installed strut rod bushings wrong so I had to have them replaced, again. Strut rod fell off at control arm while driving it the next day. They claimed to have no idea how that could happen! Got my car back from the second shop, for the second time and have been driving it and been getting same clunking noise coming back! Almost everytime when backing up and apply brakes. My car did not do this before the suspension was touched. So, could these cure my problem? I am under the car now and cannot find anything loose like the last time, you could grab the strut rod and rotate it in a circle.
FWIW, I've designed and made replacement (improved design) stainless steel sleeves for the (obsolete from Ford) forward strut rod bushings.

Details HERE (http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77865).

DLF
10-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Doug you know I buy everything you make..Why you no tell me lol. Iv eactually never replaced my strut rod bushings. Id be up for a set.

As I stated in the original thread, I didn't think that anyone would be willing to pay me what it would be worth for me to make them for sale, that's why I shared the design details.

The materials cost me about $30, and it takes quite a while to make them. I'd want $175 shipped for a set. :eek:

DLF
10-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I've taken my car to two shops. first shop totally fubared just about eveything. second shop said first shop installed strut rod bushings wrong so I had to have them replaced, again. Strut rod fell off at control arm while driving it the next day. They claimed to have no idea how that could happen! Got my car back from the second shop, for the second time and have been driving it and been getting same clunking noise coming back! Almost everytime when backing up and apply brakes. My car did not do this before the suspension was touched. So, could these cure my problem? I am under the car now and cannot find anything loose like the last time, you could grab the strut rod and rotate it in a circle.

Sorry, but i can't diagnose your car's issue remotely. :rolleyes:

The OEM strut bushings are still available from Ford, and are the only parts that you should use, the aftermarket bushings are junk. I just bought them for $70.24 shipped from Tousley Ford. 2 each of the following.

E9SZ3A140A - LCA
E9SZ3A140B - LCA
E9SZ3B271A - K-Member
F7SZ3A225AA - K-Member

What you can't buy any more are the sleeves for the K-Member bushings, that is what I've designed a replacement for.

XxSlowpokexX
10-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Youre just teasing us.....Well if you get bored let me know:O)..Ill swing by!

DLF
10-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Youre just teasing us.....Well if you get bored let me know:O)..Ill swing by!

Huh?

You want me to install them too?

$175 for the sleeves, $70 for the bushings (both ends), $25/hr. for the labor.

And you'll need an alignment after, my local guy at the Firestone charges ~$90 (and I always give him a $10 tip).

DLF
10-15-2011, 12:56 AM
To my everlasting amazement, I've already received orders for 5 sets. I've ordered the materials and begun making a total of 7 sets, so 2 sets are available for sale.

DLF
10-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Down to the last set. I've ordered materials to make more, but it'll be a while as I've got other projects to finish for other customers.

S_Mazza
12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow. Excellent product idea, Doug. I have a set of Ford ones NIB, but I will probably want a set of these eventually.

DLF
12-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow. Excellent product idea, Doug. I have a set of Ford ones NIB, but I will probably want a set of these eventually.

Thanks! :D

Necessity is a Mother! :eek:

I had a customer's car on my lift and needed to come up with a solution. :cool:

IkeyM
03-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Sent you a PM on a set of these.

DLF
03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Sent you a PM on a set of these.

PM replied to.

Please remember that the holes in the stock forward washers must be enlarged to 1" to use my sleeves. If you don't have the means to do this yourself, I'll do it for you N/C, just send me the washers first so I can ship them back with the sleeves.

I have two sets in stock.

Click HERE (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7D6X5FRUN2WY6) to buy.

DLF
04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Although I've offered to machine the forward washers to work with my stainless strut rod sleeves, if you send them to me first, I realize that's not very practical for most people.

I have a pair of forward washers that I've bead blasted, machined to work with my spacers, and repainted with a coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and a coat of Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint.

If purchased along with a set of my sleeves, the cost is $50. And I'll refund $30 if you return your stock forward washers to me within 30 days.

DLF
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
The last set has been sold, but I am working on another batch.

DLF
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
3 sets in this batch, boxed and ready to ship

Click HERE (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7D6X5FRUN2WY6) to buy.

Please remember that the holes in the stock forward washers must be enlarged to 1" to use my stainless steel sleeves. If you don't have the means to do this yourself, I'll do it for you N/C, just send me the washers first so I can ship them back with the sleeves.

OR

I have a pair of forward washers that I've bead blasted, machined to work with my spacers, and repainted with a coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and a coat of Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint. If purchased along with a set of my sleeves, the cost is $50. And I'll refund $30 if you return your stock forward washers to me within 30 days.

Wzenheimer
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Doug,

Do you still have any of these sleeves? I'd be interested in a pair for my car. I already have all of the OEM bushings but it appears my stock sleeves are frozen in the K-member and will probably get destroyed on the way out. Unless there is a secret decoder way to pull the stock sleeves out?

DLF
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Doug,

Do you still have any of these sleeves? I'd be interested in a pair for my car. I already have all of the OEM bushings but it appears my stock sleeves are frozen in the K-member and will probably get destroyed on the way out. Unless there is a secret decoder way to pull the stock sleeves out?

Yes, I have a couple of sets in stock.

Wzenheimer
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, I have a couple of sets in stock.

This may seem trivial but is there a trick to getting them removed from the k-member?

DLF
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
This may seem trivial but is there a trick to getting them removed from the k-member?

The stock pieces?

If they're rusted together, you can either cut the lips off with a grinder, or just use a large crow bar under the forward washer and pry the washer off of the lip.

Wzenheimer
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
The stock pieces?

If they're rusted together, you can either cut the lips off with a grinder, or just use a large crow bar under the forward washer and pry the washer off of the lip.

I thought I was going to have to grind the lip off thanks...I'll be in touch via email for some other items I need as well.