Stock Oil Cooler

r1dd1ck913

Ok so I have been searching on info about removing the stock oil cooler. But what I can't find is temp numbers. Any one have some numbers of before and after removal of the stock oil cooler.

Not really I just wanted to see some numbers it see if one way was better then the other. And It would be two less cooling lines that I would have to deal with.

Well I also was thinking about doing a remote cooler but I don't know. And as for warming the oil I use synthetic oil so it does not need to be warmed upo.

The only experience I have with oil temp comes from my Audi work beater since it has an oil temp gauge. Poorly graduated though with only 60, 130, and 170C marked asymmetrically with the 130 being closer to the 60 than it is to the 170. The oil cooler itself is virtually identical to the one Ford used. Temp is measured in the oil passage after the cooler

At speeds under 60 mph and the coolant up to temp, the needle is just over the 60C mark on days that are over 80F. Under 80F the needle will stay at 60C. Change the speed up to 75MPH with the engine turning about 3400rpm and now the needle moves to about 1/3 of the distance between 60C and 130C. According to Audi anything between 60 and 130 is acceptable for spirited driving, under 60 take it easy, back off over 130 and shut it down immediately at 170. A time or two I've forgotten to change to OD and have run 4000+ rpm for miles (yes it's that smooth and melodic) and oil tamp has gotten most of the way to 130C but never over

So what I've seen with this thing is that it's virtually impossible to get oil temp much above 60C (140F) with engine RPM 3000 or below, it's only going over 3000 rpm where you'll start seeing the oil temp go up. Considering that going over 2500 rpm in my Cougar was an event, and certainly never cruised that high, I'm thinking that the stock oil cooler is more for putting heat in the oil than taking the heat out. OTOH if you're planning on running in excess of 3000 rpm for more than a minute or two you'll probably want one.

Back