Jay goes down...

Everything looked smooth and looked like it just got away from you without any signs. Did you expect it? First time?

Yeah...I looked at that and see you coming out of a turn and then going down. Odd indeed. However, its cool that you walked away like you did. How much damage and how fast were you going? Hard to tell from that angle. The other bikes following the track look to be going 30ish.

SWS

First time down. I originally thought I would slide, but I ended up tumbling instead, which caused some decent head and neck injuries. The preload setting on the rear sock was too soft (should have never messed with it), which caused the rear to slide out and I kept the bars at a fixed position which in turn tucked the front end. The whole bike never really felt planted all day.

Overall the bike isn't too bad. I just invested in a set of race bodywork that I painted so all the factory plastics were taken off and are mint. I haven't touched the bike since but at first glance, the parts list only totals $150 or so, and it's all cosmetic.

Before in race trim:
283ae694.jpg

After:
4291bd8c.jpg

1b97c397.jpg

32e5d0b0.jpg

Yeah...I looked at that and see you coming out of a turn and then going down. Odd indeed. However, its cool that you walked away like you did. How much damage and how fast were you going? Hard to tell from that angle. The other bikes following the track look to be going 30ish.

SWS

I walked away initially but ended up going to the ER and getting some CT and spinal scans. Turns out it was a pretty severe brian contusion and some swelling around the nerve that supplies the left eardrum. I've been down for the count the last few days as it really took a number on my body. The speed for an intermediate rider in that turn is between 60-80.

Bike tooK the hit well. Good thing you put those race plastics/glass pieces. Did the engine shut off after it went down? Looks like a stunt bike now. :)

Last edited:
Glad you came out ok. I had two close calls myself and honestly after that I kind of take it easy when I ride. Onews masive handlebar slap at about 100mph the other was a massive slide comming out of a turn due to sand on the road that I fortunately pulled out of..Somehow.

I love my bike and I love riding...But nowadays I tend to enjoy scenic rides on a Harley.....Which I rent a few times a year (Last one was a softail heratige classic with studded leather saddle bags haha). Never thought Id be that guy to appreciate riding a Harley...But I do now

Glad to read your bike faired considerably well, sorry about your injuries. Looks like the sliders did their job very well. I've always wanted to try a trackday, but can't bear the thought of having to rebuild my GSX-R 750. lol

ouch... looked like fun up until. I've never been able to push a motorcycle that hard simply because I always fear the back end loosing traction in a corner.

The tumble looked bad too. Did the riding clothes pull you into that position, or did you not have a moment to consider you might want stop the tumble?

OUCH!

The good thing is you did it on the track and not on the street. Welcome to the "layed a bike down" club, I joined it my first day on a permit though it wasn't anywhere near as harsh as yours. Just a little road rash on me and the bike and a bruised ego.

60+...wow...Im sure you are in a lot of pain. When I went down I was only going 30. Burned the heck out of my skin (took a lot of it off) and I was sore...really sore and am about twice your size...

Get better prior to trying to do it again.

SWS

Ouch. Hope you get better soon, with no lasting effects.

Nice of the bike to keep you in the frame as it sped away. ;)

The tumble looked bad too. Did the riding clothes pull you into that position, or did you not have a moment to consider you might want stop the tumble?

That turn is high-banked, so when it went down, it dragged my leg under the bike, pulling me off, which started the tumble. Once I was in motion, there was no stopping it. I always figured I would slide (I wish I would have), but that just didn't happen. A decent set of leathers really allows you to walk away without a scratch. I think a total of 6 guys went down that day.

Just totalled up the repair bill. It's a whopping $107 :cool: (minus repainting the race fairings).

Maybe it's time to step back into the SC scene...:rolleyes:

Just totalled up the repair bill. It's a whopping $107 :cool: (minus repainting the race fairings).

Maybe it's time to step back into the SC scene...:rolleyes:

Is that with the hospital bills?

I don't know man...When I trashed mine, I wanted to get right back on. But my wife was all like "Im pregnant and you should not get a bike. Its time to grow up now and start making grown up decisions." Yeah...that went well...

SWS

I feel for ya man. I broad sided a deer on my harley at about 60mph a few years ago. I always thought I would slide too, but when my leather jacket caught the asphalt, I started tumbling violently down the road. I was wearing a helmet so I lived to ride another day and only had a few scrapes to my leg where it got caught under the bike when it went down.

I'm glad you're going to be OK, I know that was quite an experience for you.

Mark

Back