4r70w symptom

anlo

recently ive noticed when cold first drive of the day i hear that high pitched whine somewhere after 2-3 shift and around 30-35 mph with light accelleration i can make it shudder which is felt in the steering wheel. i have replaced 1-2 and 2-3 accum and installed new springs about a year ago didnt drill any holes or replace separator gasket to complete the j-mod . shifts are firm almost like i have a shift kit chirp every time 2nd gear under heavy accel. probably due to the new springs. there is a weird shift within a shift between 2 and 3 under normal accel. but seems okay i do have a trans cooler installed
things seem normal other than the jerk from 1 to 2 but the whine doesnt. any ideas on what could be taking place..? my gut says maybe when cold flow is restricted a little. fluid has been changed without draining t/c a couple tomes since refresh of parts listed and looks good not burnt.. maybe the beginning of the end of some part of trans?? any ideas welcomed.. thanks

Sounds like the converter is shuddering, a common problem on early transmissions. It can probably be fixed in the valve body but the clutch is taking wear and won't last forever.
Alan

probably fixed

when you say can probably be fixed in the valve body what do you mean ? i saw you mention the term " flaring" is that what im trying to describe by saying feels like a "smooth shift before the shift to 3rd?" your scaring me with the "clutches taking wear comment"with ample throttle i dont feel that sensation only on easy normal acceleration.. as stated i only replaced 1-2 / 2-3 accum and put new springs in with the blue purple and brown springs. whats actually making such stiff shifts? i like it feels strong but am i harming anything ? bottom spring in the 1-2 was pretty hard to press up there before replacing c clip.. it must be really having to pressure up to do whatever the accumulator does ? anyway thanks for any comments
also really stupid ?? whats the procedure for replacing u joints seems easy just never attempted ... any good links to this operation ??/ thanks i know rims on wrong sides theres a long story having to do with balancing and old tires dont ask....

autoscs036.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what is making stiff shifts, maybe a stuck pressure regulator valve or pressure control solenoid. Changing u-joints isn't that bad just knock them out and knock them back in.
Alan

Back