starnge pad/rotor wear

spetz01

I noticed after taking my rear drivers tire off, I have something weird going on.

Everything on the face of the rotor is shiny as it is supposed to be after driving. Everything BUT the bottom, near the bottom edge, its got that nice layer of oxidation you find say after washing the car.

I'm really not sure whats going on...Why would that edge not contact?

These are rotors, pads and calipers with only 2000km's on them since the rebuild I did.

Just as the description says.

Forgive the rust, I had the tire off for a week and we've had some rain.

Looks normal...especially given that the rear pads are not that wide.

Attachments

• Rear_pad_discSM.jpg
    Rear_pad_discSM.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Just on one side? The passenger's is polished right to the bottom. The fronts are good to, but they work harder don't they?

i have seen some pads that are beveled along the edges, not sure why but I have seen them. The rotor will rust where the pads don't rub. I have seen some pads with rivets that will prevent the pads from making full contact with the caliber pistons. From your picture this doesn't seem to be the case.

Look at the pads and see if they are rubbing the rotors where there is rust present. If they are, then the pads are not making good contact with the rotors and something is amiss and should be investigated furthur. If the rotor is rusting where there is no pad contact, then I would say things are normal. If all your brake parts are the same from left to right, then I would say your brake rotors may be made from different alloys, one more suceptible to rusting than the other.

Mark

Last edited:
Back