Ford Radio EPC to PAC conversion

3tbird

There is a Radio repair guy I ran into on the web who states ha can take a new 'PAC' Ford radio from a Mustang 98 or 99 (with a rounded corner face plate) and convert it to work like a 90 'EPC' JBL radio (with a square corner face plate and 5v output to the amp).

Has anyone done this????????

Hi, guy.

I am NOT a radio guru by any stretch but I just finished a conversion of removing my JBL radio and cd unit and installing a 93 amfmcd all in one unit up top and put a cupholder in the lower DIN slot. I can tell you how I did that but please explain to me, if you can, the PAC and the EPC terms. I am not familiar with them.

Thanks.

Terms on JBL radio

The terms are from Ford. The 89-92 radios were called EPC radios. They work on a 5v to activate the amp I've been told. On the 93 and up radios they work on a 12v basis. The 98-99 PAC radios work on 12v and they have a remote cd play like the 89-92 EPC radios...and the plugs are alike.

Did you install into a 93 or newer SC? Please advise!

Hi, guy. No I installed a 93 amfmcd into my 90 35th. Here is how I did it, http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/JBLReplace.htm

I'm still learning all of these radios. I looked through my brochures and in 94 the JBL system changed to an amfmcd single unit. That's about all I know for sure up to now. And thanks for the terms. I haven't kept up with them. :) Hope this has been helpful.

Last edited:
hey tbirdsc35th
so, by doing this modification what year head units and of what cars can be used? Last, do u happen to know any prices? My head unit's been acting up...but lately its gotten to the point of working whenever IT wants. I've taken that for a while, but dont think i can hold for much longer, so this post really sounds like a viable solution for that. Oh, and in the picture in the 35th website it seems that the later model head unit does not compleately fill the 'stock' hole...is that right or is it just the angle of the pic? thanx!

Hi, CaifanSC.

I looked through all of the Thunderbird brochures and asked around a bit. This is what little I know about this so far. First yes the 93 unit is not an exact fit mainly because the original units had very distinct harsh cut faces that fit right up against the opening. This 93 unit has slightly rounded corners so it will fit differently. I still am not exactly sure where it really came from. The JBL option went through the 93 models and then 94 models used the amfmcd unit. There were so many cars that used these units and I'm still not clear on all of them. One person told me an Aerostar that he saw had one. Almost none of these radios are available from Ford anymore so they aren't much help on specifics. I bought this 93 unit off of Ebay for $50.00. I was pleasantly surprised to learn it plays in 4 channels. Now the display is a more blue color than the green so I am thinking it is NOT out of a tbird as it was advertised. I think all tbirds displays were green. Other owners will have to bear this out for me. I just don't know. If a 94 or later tbird also has the green display, then I would think the best pick for a radio would be an amfmcd from a 94-97 tbird or cougar and then for the 90 connector perform the modification I mention. As I said before, I'm not a radio guru by any stretch but I am going to learn. I have saved a good working 90 JBL combo unit and it's packed away. It will be there for when I want to replace it. I will post more about this as I learn more. I call upon anyone out there who knows these things to add to this. This will benefit all of us cursed with the bad cap radios. :)

Sorry for the long post. I hope I've helped some.

Have a great weekend all.

ok, tbirdsc35th, in that case, i guess i would still rather have a factory head unit instead of an aftermarket. I think most aftermarket units do not have the same fit and have the same empty perimeter, so using a later model unit wouldnt be that bad...but, have u researched the option of getting a later model factory am/fm/tape unit and having it work with the stock early model CD unit? TO tell u the truth i rather have a tape deck and the CD unit at the bottom instead of an empty space or a cup holder at the lower slot. let me know if you or anybody has researched this option... GRACIAS!

Hi, CaifanSC.

I haven't gone in that direction yet. Not having the wiring schematics for those two types of radios I can't say how it would work. I can ask around if you like. This 93 unit I used has a black square jumper block that plugs into where the cd unit goes on the older units. That may be a place to plug in the older cd units if you use the newer amfm cassette with premium sound. It's a theory anyway. When I ask, let me make sure I have this right. You want to use a newer year am fm cassette up top and still use your older cd player below, correct? When I ask I'll see what answers I can glean from him. This is beginning to intrique me. :) I always loved doing electricals on older mustangs and at one time when I was younger, I installed stereos (1845 I think. LOL) Anyway I will see what I can find out for you.

My best to you.

Hey Lance,
that is correct, im trying to use the late model am/fm/tape on top and the stock CD at the bottom. reason being is that the radio unit is begginning to totaly crap out (big news) but the CD player is still good. Definatelly let me know what u can find out..i appreciate it. Oh, and about the electronics, well, yeah...i've had some practice diagnosing stuff. Its cool when u have the time. Right now i have to begin diagnosing a short thats making one of my fuses burn. This is after unhooking my door and cleaning it up...some punk (probably some ricer punk) busted my drivers side window and it left a mess in there. Anywho, let me know what u can find out. Thanx!

lg

Hi, LG

Here is the story I was told. Now again let me say I am no radio guru here. I just ask questions and luckily get answers. :)

It's unclear when the thunderbird/cougar cars went to the newer wiring order and power source but it doesn't matter. If you plug in a unit and it powers but you get no sound then you need to modiy the plug as I outlined. You won't blow anything up. I asked !!! :) You will be fine using a newer head unit up top and the older CD downstairs IF the unit you are using is CD compatible. In other words, it is a premium sound unit and has the correct plugs in the back for the premium sound connectors. The jumper from the top unit to CD unit below should work fine. Sometimes there will be a black jumper block in the square plug of a unit and that is for a CD changer option in other fords. But that will designate a CD compatible radio unit for sure.

I hope that covers it all. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at webmaster@35ththunderbirdregistry.org and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Have a great week.

Back