PDA

View Full Version : Race headers & Exhaust

XxSlowpokexX
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Ok....So you know me...I never know what the heck Im doing. I buy stuff never use it..Then buy more stuff.......

ANYWAYS..I need to redo my exhaust as I want to install my SS Kooks headers. Well a buddy of mine that works at American Racing Headers said well.....You know.....If there is enough interest we can do something,,,We are talking like 5 people. So now Im going..OHHH BOOYYYYY...

So what Im looking for is potential interest in a race type header/exhaust system. I'm going to have my car thrown on the lift and see whats up. Headers and 3" Exhaust. Now I have had 3" dual exhaust done on my other car but it required a lil snip and tuck.

So what I'm asking you guys/girls is...Is there interest? What size primaries and collectors would you like? Interested in a 3" exhaust if possible? Perhaps just the headers and lets say the 3" X pipe section?? I am thinking race only exhaust as I dont consider the Kooks race type IMO...No resonator just headers-exhaust-mufflers.

Just post your ideas here and interest. I can then get potential pricing etc.

See now I will need a new cam...and various other things to substantiate a large exhaust..Oh and not to mention what Im having done to my AR kit..Go big or go home they say.....

Let me know your thoughts

BLOWN38
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
2 OD x 34 Long Equal length primaries, 3 OD collector outlet.:)

XR7 Dave
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty well set for headers right now, otherwise I'd be interested. The Kooks headers aren't bad headers at all, just have crappy collectors which is fixable. ;)

ScrapSC
10-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a set of the mids and hate the way they connect with the rest of the exhaust. I constantly fight a leak there.

XxSlowpokexX
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
I have two sets of new Kooks Long Tubes. One SS with a 2.5 collector and one swain tech coated with a 3" collector..I was going to install the SS ones with a new SS 2.5 " Exhaust.

When I went to pick up something for my buddy I mentioned my exhaust and as I needed some help with a few pipes. Thats where the conversation came up. Honestly I am unsure what would be needed but the Kooks headers were originally intended for a 300rwhp SC. I'm just thinking that the primary tubes for the HP some people are making may be on the smaller side. So being I could literally get headers with a 1 7/8 or 2" tubes got me thinking...I need to get these and step up my game. Just like we need 80 lb injectors for that 450-500rwhp level because we only have 6 cyl and not 8.... We probablky need at least a 1 7/8 primary header as we only have 6 tubes not 8...No I have not run any calculations but it only makes sense. And teh kooks headers come awfully close to the steering shaft hitting in many cases.

So if there is seriously enough interest I can get something going. If not..Something is going for me...But Ill be using the headers I have instead as Im not paying for a one off set of headers..With enough interest they will tak eit on without tagging that price on

ricardoa1
10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Im all set for headers. I welded a set of 2.5" Vband clamps on both sets. Ive yet to install the set on the Anniversary. I want to toss the Mac's out they keep running the shaft every left turn I make.

I would not want to know what an exaust with just muffler sounds like. These V6s sound terrible. If 100% track duty then sure but not for street drivers. There are multiple set ups and perfect place to hear them is at the shootout, There are quite a few set ups that sound horrific to me when they go down the track, but I know its for racing reasons for the most part.

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
my current exhaust is with just mufflers an x pipe and high flow mettalic cats. It really isnt bad except that i blew out one of the mufflers the other day. The resonators we run really arent made for high hp appplications. Add two mufflers and some cats and i wonder if there is a true hp loss at high rpm/hp applications.

Either way Im going for a new full exhaust minus resonator. if i dont like it i change it later on...

The headers here are the big thing

BLOWN38
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
See what they want for a custom one off set of headers, if noone else is interested.

ricardoa1
10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Why not bring the set of tubes from the place Duffy found and have them welded that this shop. Maybe it will be cheaper.

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 12:48 PM
American Racing Headers is a big outfit. They make headers for all sorts of vehicles.

http://americanracingheader.reachlocal.com/?scid=1900231&kw=12942428&pub_cr_id=5437795169

REcently put a set in my buddies Marauder and my other buddies 08 stang. Fit and quality was excellant. I even went for a little tour through thier shop yesterday which is what started me thinking..WHich is always bad. Welding up a set of headers from the Ed set I dont see as being cheaper as this shop fabricated everything in house

Chris i'm sure they will do a one off custom set of headers. They have thier custom fab shop as well as thier production shop. If youre really looking for something I can sell what I have now and with two of us and a little more interest get something going.

check out the webpage.

Ira R.
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Damon I would be very happy to go over there with you some time and let them put my car up on the lift and see what they come up with. Be interesting to see what they recommend and what price they bring it in at.

Ira

Nettlesd
10-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I think headers made for our cars would be great but I'm hoping the price is not what they charge for my Ram SRT10.

Viper Truck SRT10 1 3/4" Primaries, 3" Merge Collectors, 3" Connection Pipes (With Cats) VT34WC $2,290.00

XR7 Dave
10-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I think headers made for our cars would be great but I'm hoping the price is not what they charge for my Ram SRT10.

Viper Truck SRT10 1 3/4" Primaries, 3" Merge Collectors, 3" Connection Pipes (With Cats) VT34WC $2,290.00

That's for headers + downpipes with cats. Headers alone are in the $1200 range for V8's which for a header with merge collector is a very reasonable price.

In my case I'm taking a set of $780 Kooks SS headers and adding a set of merge collectors. I'll have about $1000 in the set. This will be a street set of headers in 1 3/4". I have a set of 1 7/8" in kit form that I need to build for my race motor. I think these headers will end up costing me more like $1500 with labor and ceramic coating since they are mild steel.

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Damon I would be very happy to go over there with you some time and let them put my car up on the lift and see what they come up with. Be interesting to see what they recommend and what price they bring it in at.

Ira

Im going to have my car looked at and take it from there.

Bottomline however is that if the cost isnt similir to that of Kooks headers with added cost for stainless there will probably not be a market for these even if they are slightly better if they want to sell them as a production item. As a one off application Im thinking they may be costly.I know how much my stainless steel kooks headers were and they were based off of what was already made.$$$$$$$$$

Chris had mentioned 2"x 34" primaries with 3 inch collector. Anyone else have any ideas.

Ira R.
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Let me know what happens. They aren't that far and they're open in the evenings so I can get there after work. Be interested to see what they recommend.

Ira

BLOWN38
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
The dimensions I gave are what ED suggested for 500hp gross. I hope to go over that which the suggestion for over 500 gross is 2 1/8 x 34 primary and I think 3 1/2" collector. But I think that is over kill for most of the screw cars.

Right now I have the kooks 1 3/4 with 2.5 collector and I know that has to be choking me up.

I am definatly interested. If nothing comes of this I was thinking of getting a 3" collector put on what I already have.

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Chris,

I asked for a price on a 2" 34" primary header with a 3" collector. As a one off and if there is interest. As for me at this point I dont see myself doing what it takes to make 500rwhp in my teal car so a swap to 3" collectors on my SS Kooks may be the ticket along with a 3" exhaust. I may get it up on the lift this weekend to get some pricing.

seawalkersee
10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Kind of off topic, but what about a set for the 4.6 cars at about 350 whp?

SWS

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
I wouldnt push for a set of 4.6 headers as for that HP level they are already pretty much out there. And my 4.6 has those crappy JBA headers on it

BLOWN38
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I believe Ed is saying gross HP is the HP at the flywheel. So you are probably close with the AR.

ScrapSC
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
The dimensions I gave are what ED suggested for 500hp gross. I hope to go over that which the suggestion for over 500 gross is 2 1/8 x 34 primary and I think 3 1/2" collector. But I think that is over kill for most of the screw cars.

Right now I have the kooks 1 3/4 with 2.5 collector and I know that has to be choking me up.

I am definatly interested. If nothing comes of this I was thinking of getting a 3" collector put on what I already have.

I have the Kooks Mids and need to get rid of that ball and socket setup and possibly upgrade the collector also.

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Ive seriously been wondering at these high HP levels just how restrictive running a resonator and two mufflers is. The resonator just isnt made for that type of flow

Mike8675309
10-27-2011, 05:43 PM

I would use the numbers above for a Purpose built race car with 500+ crank horse power. Ed's suggestion is for street/strip use, go down one tube size for the primaries. i.e. my headers will be 2" primaries with 3" collectors, 34" primary tube length. If I was going to build for the salt flats I'd want to go up to the 2-1/8 primaries and bigger collector. Ed's numbers are Gross where he was estimating crank HP minus the load from the blower. I.e. a Blown motor at 550 crank hp he assumed 80hp stolen by the blower, and thus would call that a 630Gross HP motor. His calculates are explained in his letter.

I do believe if you are going to have custom headers built, there is no good reason not to build equal length. If your primaries are 1-7/8, try to get 36" length primaries.

Here is a link to the background on the letter the SCCoA received from Headers by Ed.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114005

And here is a link to the letter as typed by Duffy
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114008

BLOWN38
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I would use the numbers above for a Purpose built race car with 500+ crank horse power. Ed's suggestion is for street/strip use, go down one tube size for the primaries. i.e. my headers will be 2" primaries with 3" collectors, 34" primary tube length. If I was going to build for the salt flats I'd want to go up to the 2-1/8 primaries and bigger collector. Ed's numbers are Gross where he was estimating crank HP minus the load from the blower. I.e. a Blown motor at 550 crank hp he assumed 80hp stolen by the blower, and thus would call that a 630Gross HP motor. His calculates are explained in his letter.

I do believe if you are going to have custom headers built, there is no good reason not to build equal length. If your primaries are 1-7/8, try to get 36" length primaries.

Here is a link to the background on the letter the SCCoA received from Headers by Ed.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114005

And here is a link to the letter as typed by Duffy
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114008

Yup thats what I'm going with, one tube size smaller.;) And 2 tube sizes bigger than what I got now.:cool:

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Chris I will let you know what he says. Be real interesting to see what a "properly sized" header may be worth over what you have now.

If I end up going that route Ill just hav eto man up and modify my car to match haha

XxSlowpokexX
11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Just an update..Ill get word back on this after SEMA

David Neibert
11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Yup thats what I'm going with, one tube size smaller.;) And 2 tube sizes bigger than what I got now.:cool:

Chris,

So you are going to 2.00" primaries with a 3" collector ?

David

BLOWN38
11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Chris,

So you are going to 2.00" primaries with a 3" collector ?

David

I would like to. I'm sure that little 2.5" collector I got now is not helping. Maybe atleast this winter cut it off and get a 3" collector.

ScrapSC
11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I looked at the price of some of the collectors and WOW!!! High dollar!

ScrapSC
11-04-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/3-1%20&%20%202-1%20%20Collector%20PDF.pdf

Didnt know if these would be a collector to use or not. Just been browsing the different companies to see what they offer...

XR7 Dave
11-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I've used Cone Engineering parts. They are a good company to deal with and priced reasonably.

CMac89
11-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Copy cats!!!!

BLOWN38
12-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Damon, you ever check on this?

XxSlowpokexX
12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
H ehasnt gotten back to me yet..I think Ill sen dhis info to you..I just been really busy here