Is it a fuse?

SCchick3

Soo the other day my turn signals stopped working. Then slowly my heat controls went out, and my firm ride doesn't work anymore...wth?? I pulled all my fuses under the dash and all of them look good but I lost my cover so I don't know which one controlls all of these...help! :eek:

According to my manual, the #12 fuse which is a 15 amp in the very middle of the fuse panel has most all or the ARC stuff on it as well as the VMM module. I could not findn turn signal fuse. I do not have the fuse box cover either just looking in the chilton. ?
Soo the other day my turn signals stopped working. Then slowly my heat controls went out, and my firm ride doesn't work anymore...wth?? I pulled all my fuses under the dash and all of them look good but I lost my cover so I don't know which one controlls all of these...help! :eek:

replaced my ignition switch a few years ago...i'll look for the 15 amp :) thanks guys, i'll update you later!

fuse pics

heres some pics of the fuses in the car and in the engine bay. dont know if you still need them. got them off my owners manual. ignition switch is an easy fix but its go with that like rzimmerl and drfishbone say :D

Attachments

• scn0001.jpg
    scn0001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 52
  • scn0002.jpg
    scn0002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 45
  • scn0003.jpg
    scn0003.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 43
BTW, if you have the early ABS system and your ignition switch is flaking out, you could lose your power assist on the braking too - which is NOT COOL!

I had driven most of the way to work early one morning without a problem, then when I went to exit the highway, my turn signal didn't work...oh well...not too big of a deal... As I approached the long & tight curve down to the street, I pressed on the brakes and they were out too! :eek: fortunately I had enough time to stand on the brake pedal and use the e-brake to slow down in time to make the curve and come to a stop at the redlight. :eek:

So anyway, if you think it possibly could be the ignition switch again...fix it right away - you don't always get the exact same symptoms. If it were my wife's car, I wouldn't let her drive it until it was fixed.

Lol thanks Dr Fishbone...my right leg has become very strong over the summer because my power assist already doesn't work! We are sure its my ABS pump that is seized. Tomorrow is my 'work on all my vehicles/winterizing the SC day' so I will be checking into all of my fuses. If its not that fuse or any other fuse, I will be getting ahold of you guys...thank you!!

Yeah, i'm pretty crazy but i missed my car over the winter while I was rebuilding it so I have to drive it like this :rolleyes: Its also a five speed so if need be, I can down shift to slow down too :)

Yeah, i'm pretty crazy but i missed my car over the winter while I was rebuilding it so I have to drive it like this :rolleyes: Its also a five speed so if need be, I can down shift to slow down too :)

Brakes could be non related to the other issues. I live in VA and purchased my car in OH. I drove it 3/4 of the way home (to MD) w/o power assist. When I got to MD the water pump gave out & I had to leave it at a shop. I asked them to fix the wp and give a quick look to the brakes, turns out a $60 relay was bad. Just a thought if your brakes went out before the other weirdness started :)

Rob

Lol thanks Dr Fishbone...my right leg has become very strong over the summer because my power assist already doesn't work! We are sure its my ABS pump that is seized. Tomorrow is my 'work on all my vehicles/winterizing the SC day' so I will be checking into all of my fuses. If its not that fuse or any other fuse, I will be getting ahold of you guys...thank you!!

I had the pressure sensor go out on my way over to my friends house and that was it no power assist. Every where I went to try and get some help I heard "you have the Teves 2 abs good luck with your issue" I figured it out so if anyone has this problem I can hopefully shed some light on the situation or at least try.

Yup, I can't find a single fuse blown. Silly car...I get you all put back together and you're running GREAT, then small things like this keep happening. Only in an SC huh?

Yup, I can't find a single fuse blown. Silly car...I get you all put back together and you're running GREAT, then small things like this keep happening. Only in an SC huh?

Maybe re-visit that ignition switch, it really sounds like the culprit.

I was able to jiggle the key and get things to work for a split second. That'll tell you for sure if you can get that to work.

When you think ignition switch you're referring to this one, right?

P4290004.jpg

And you guys are pretty positive this is the issue? I believe you but I would like to know specifically why you think this is my issue (possible stories from others when it fails?)

Also, is there a way to test if it is good when I pull it out?

Thanks!

*shrug*

On mine, when I bought the Cougar, I looked at it and the dang cover was popped off (!!!) Reassembled it, it didn't work right, so I popped over to the Ford dealership and bought one (in Center TX).

I'm still using that one, pushing 80Kmiles later.

RwP

Also, is there a way to test if it is good when I pull it out?

Without even removing it, you can visually check it. The housing is basically two pieces - a cast metal half and a plastic half. There are several little metal tabs (on the metal half) that are supposed to hold the plastic half in place, however, over time, the plastic wears because of there is a spring inside that pushes the two halfs apart. If the switch is worn to the point of getting flaky, there will very very likely be a gap between the plastic and metal halves -BUT - it doesn't necessarily have to be a big gap. I've had problems with a switch that had a gap of ~1/16".

If you remove the plastic trim pieces over the steering column, you should be able to see the switch on the lower, passenger side of the column. It has a large rectangular shaped plug with around 10 wires (some large) going into it. The plastic half is usually a tan color, I think.

Attachments

• 2010-08-11_014319_ford-ignition-switch.jpg
    2010-08-11_014319_ford-ignition-switch.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back