Best Oil for our sc motors

TBirdSC89

Just trying to get some ideas here, I really like castrol edge and been wanting to try that new royal purple, but out of experience for other sc owners is there a brand of oil thats worked very good with these engines and also protects them the best? gracias amigos :D

Ryan H.

I run Quaker State full synthetic in all my cars including Both SC's. I run 10w-30 in both SC's with no issues. Quaker State is just a Family history oil for me, My dad used it all my life and I use it. Two of my kids are now driving and thats what I have them use.

Mobil 1 full synth 10w 30 with mobile 1 filter. Same as K&N just painted different and K&N has a divot at the end of the filter. Full synthetic is the way to go. Trust me on this one. A buddy of mines son races go carts and he used to have to break down the engine every other race using regular oil. He switched to full synthetic and now he can do it at every 10th race. He showed me the engines in both to compare after oil usage. BIG difference. The full synth seems to quiet the engine down to. My Wrangler has it in it and it has allot of miles on it. When I switched about 2 years ago the difference was noticeable. Now you can hardly tell it is running when it is. IMO

Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic and vehicle branded oil filters(Motorcraft) for me and I still change it at 3000 miles...May not be cost effective,but I believe the way I drive my vehicles,extending it to 5000 just scares me.Even at the 3K mark,the oil looks dark.But I can proudly say that you can "eat" off of the inside of every engine I have owned..

X2, Every 3000 for me to. Costs a little more but my Ranger with 100,000 miles on it the engine looked like day 1 on the inside.

I think I'll do definitely be going full synthetic, I use it on my Hyundai and after 184,000 miles no issues with it. I'll choose from the options you guys gave thanks guys
Ryan H

I looked at my choice for oil,parts,and supplies from an availability standpoint.What brands are carried almost everywhere,like Wal-Mart,AutoZone,O'reilley,Goodyear,etc...Just in the off chance if for instance I'm on the road and I need a quart of oil or blow a tire,I guess maybe I'm retentive that way....It has worked for me in the past...Just my opinion

I know it's been gone over, but are there issues with switching over to snythetic "cold turkey"?

In a motor in good shape with good seals and rings?

No, as long as you pick an appropriate weight.

In a motor with leaking seals and rings that barely hold compression?

Well, between the synthetic running out the seals and blowing right by the rings ... :eek:

You MAY choose to Seafoam the oil first to make sure all the crud possible is out.

RwP

I dont believe in "seafoam" ... magic in a bottle.

As for Oil, it should all be the same, Rated by the API and SAE .. if they dont have these ratings, dont use them. If its OLD oil, dont use it.

Switching from Conventional to Synthetic .. no problem. You can switch back and forth, doesnt make a difference, Oil is Oil.

The Oil never goes bad, you just use up the additives.

Lots of cold starts / short driving trips = fuel in the oil, additives get used up much quicker. Long freeway drives, engine nice and toasty, oil lasts longer.

- Dan

I like the full synthetic oil I can tell a big difference compared to regular oil, at least so far it's been alot better for me. I've heard good things about mobil one I'm gonna give that a shot when this tbird is ready to run

I use mobil 1. As much as I don't like using auto zone cause most of the people there are idiots, however there is the occasional person with a brain there but I still don't trust there parts. Anyway auto zone usually has a oil and filter deal for mobil 1 for like 35 bucks. Great deal!

I just go to walmart and use motorcraft 10w30 synthetic blend with a motorcraft filter as well. Its usually cheaper than conventional oil too just by chance.

Back