Clutch time

renello79

So I am getting ready to change my clutch, and I am just looking for any tips for doing this that way I can keep my sexy SC on the road. So if anyone has had issues when doing one, tips would be great. Thanks guys

I have gotten very friendly with the seach button. As you can see with my low post count, I answer almost all of my questions with the search function. Trust me it will help tons. That being said, it is pretty much straight forward. Lift car, drop exhaust, if I remember correctly the fuel tank will need to be dropped. Remove driveshaft, crossmember, slave cylinder line, wiring. Bellhousing bolts next. Remove transmission. Replace the slave cylinder while your in there. (sucks to have the slave cylinder start leaking on you a week after you just swapped your clutch.) Remove pressure plate and flywheel. Have flywheel resurfaced and reinstall everything. Enjoy your work afterwards with a cold Yuengling! Hope this helps at least a little. I am sure the more experienced will chime in soon.

I have gotten very friendly with the seach button. As you can see with my low post count, I answer almost all of my questions with the search function. Trust me it will help tons. That being said, it is pretty much straight forward. Lift car, drop exhaust, if I remember correctly the fuel tank will need to be dropped. Remove driveshaft, crossmember, slave cylinder line, wiring. Bellhousing bolts next. Remove transmission. Replace the slave cylinder while your in there. (sucks to have the slave cylinder start leaking on you a week after you just swapped your clutch.) Remove pressure plate and flywheel. Have flywheel resurfaced and reinstall everything. Enjoy your work afterwards with a cold Yuengling! Hope this helps at least a little. I am sure the more experienced will chime in soon.

you forgot to mention.....if your state doesn't sell Yuengling, drive to Pennsylvania with your newly installed clutch, and buy 4 cases.

I wasn't looking for the procedure exactly, more so little stupid things tend to be an issue during the job was more of my concern. I know how hard it can be to get parts for these and I don't really want my car tying up a lift at my work for a week waiting for parts. Just thinking ahead that's all. But thanks for the input about the slave cylinder

Last edited:
Expect to have a exhaust manifold bolt or three break if never done before...Spray teh heck out of them with pb blast

If you doing it on a lift it will be easy.

I was one of those who didn't replace the slave cylinder when I put my transmission in. A month later it was a grown man sobbing beside the small pool of clutch fluid under the car. :(

One thing that I had a problem with was the o-ring on the clutch line to the slave cylinder. There was a fitment issue so don't destroy the existing o-ring just in case.

Don't forget a new seal for the slip yoke.

Sean

Pretty easy. Just drop the gas tank, take the driveshaft out, disconnect the slave cylinder line, then drop the transmission. Be sure to change the slave cylinder while you are in there.

If you drop the pumpkin, and disconnect the d-shaft from the pinon, you can slide it over the pumpkin and not have to drop the tank. (If you drop the tank, make sure you get all the gas out you can-cuz it's heavy and awkward).
The 'o'rings are not in fact 'o' rings at all. They are square and are called quad rings.
Disconnect battery. Remove console top, shifter boot and remove shifter knob (to drop tranny), Disconnect clutch slave hyd line at trans. Remove starter. Disconnect as much of the exhaust as needed, and remove. Disconnect wire harness from trans. Loosen trans bellhousing bolts (if you can't get to the top with looonnng extension, wait til the trans is dropped a little. Support trans, drop xmember (drain trans or plug output to prevent fluid flow)and lower trans enough to get to upper bolts (if you couldn't get to them earlier). Slide the trans back, slowly until the input shaft is free from the clutch assy. Replace the slave while you're at it, flush the master cyl with fresh fluid. If your flywheel is still in good shape, clean it with some brake cleaner, put some sandpaper on a block and do a once over. Then clean it again. Otherwise pull it and have it resurfaced.
MikeH

Last edited:
Replace the pilot bearing while your in there. The easiest way to pop out the old one is to fill the whole inside with grease, then use a 1/2" drive extension, insert into the hole, and hit it hard with a hammer. This should pop out the old pilot bearing and not damage anything.

Fraser

Replace the pilot bearing while your in there. The easiest way to pop out the old one is to fill the whole inside with grease, then use a 1/2" drive extension, insert into the hole, and hit it hard with a hammer. This should pop out the old pilot bearing and not damage anything.

Fraser

I like this idea more than the way I did it: with a slide hammer! That was one of the most terrifying things I've ever done with that car lol. My tip is that the clutch line is easier with two tiny screw drivers honestly. I messed with the actual tool to do it for 20 minutes before grabbing two precision flatheads and just popped the little plastic sleeve down in about 2 minutes. It helps to push the line into the slave cylinder while you do it to take pressure off the retaining mechanism. Oh and our transmission is a little heavier than your typical 5 speed. Just a heads up

I like this idea more than the way I did it: with a slide hammer! That was one of the most terrifying things I've ever done with that car lol. My tip is that the clutch line is easier with two tiny screw drivers honestly. I messed with the actual tool to do it for 20 minutes before grabbing two precision flatheads and just popped the little plastic sleeve down in about 2 minutes. It helps to push the line into the slave cylinder while you do it to take pressure off the retaining mechanism. Oh and our transmission is a little heavier than your typical 5 speed. Just a heads up

The grease trick can work if the pilot bearing isn't completely frozen. Another was is to shred wet paper and work it behind the pilot bearing, then pound it with an extension or a socket that fits. As the paper compresses, keep adding more till it pops out.

Agreed on two screwdrivers for the line, pretty easy. It is a touch heavy and off balance, I think it weighs something like 140lbs dry.

I was doing my clutch over a dirt work area, so when I dropped my tranny, I just got out of the way after unbolting everything, and then just gave it a yank. Another tip, if you have gas in your gas tank, unbolt just the differential mounts and it will hang down and the drive shaft will slip up and over it so you can remove the transmission.

anytime I drop my tank, I jump the fuel pump relay and get most of the gas out of it.

Yeah that works too lol. Well anyway, you should have all the info in this thread needed to do the clutch. Replace the slave cylinder while you're in there. Everyone who keeps telling you to do that has gone through this before, myself included. New clutch, month later, slave leaks.

What brand of clutch are you going to using? I just found out that centerforce has discontinued their dual friction for the 94-95 SC's.:(:mad:

I intend on using a spec stage 2 and replacing the flywheel rear main, now the slave cylinder due to all of the advice of you guys

Spada- Touche on catching my location and aquiring the Yuengling. Fortunatly I have a stash left over from one of my previous car meets in Hocking Hills State Park. Some of our Pennsylvania guys brought some over. Plus our local stores are going to carry it come Nov 14, would've been Oct 31 if Cleveland hadn't drank the brewery dry. For those of you who don't know Yuengling is the best beer ever made!

Spada- Touche on catching my location and aquiring the Yuengling. Fortunatly I have a stash left over from one of my previous car meets in Hocking Hills State Park. Some of our Pennsylvania guys brought some over. Plus our local stores are going to carry it come Nov 14, would've been Oct 31 if Cleveland hadn't drank the brewery dry. For those of you who don't know Yuengling is the best beer ever made!

The Probe guys used to have an awesome meet at Hocking Hills every year.
I only have 6 lagers left.....I heard they may start selling it in Ohio, so that's much closer to me now.

Back