Going to look at an SC today and need help!

TBirdSC96

Hey guys,

Im going to look at a SC for future plans of major restorations but for now looking for it drive well. The one I am going to look at today is a 5 speed(recently rebuilt) with 160k miles. The seller is telling me the only problems with the car are that 2nd gear grinds and there is a sound coming from the rear end.

Im assuming 2nd gear grinding is a synchro issue but the tranny was just rebuilt? And the sound from the rear end is a
"clunking" sound. Is this clunking a common problem? If so what it is?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Im going to look at a SC for future plans of major restorations but for now looking for it drive well. The one I am going to look at today is a 5 speed(recently rebuilt) with 160k miles. The seller is telling me the only problems with the car are that 2nd gear grinds and there is a sound coming from the rear end.

Im assuming 2nd gear grinding is a synchro issue but the tranny was just rebuilt? And the sound from the rear end is a
"clunking" sound. Is this clunking a common problem? If so what it is?

Thanks!

If you can, jack up each side of the rear and grab the tire and see if it will move side to side. When I bought mine I had a bearing & hub problem. Very possible your problem as well. Other than that it might be U joint on the drive shaft which would be noticeable when under load driving it, like driving up a hill.

Ken

My 93 SC had a loose bolt on one of the rear shocks that caused a clunking noise...ended up being an easy fix.

David

my tbird has always grinded in second and the rear clunks some
it has been normal to me for 200k miles the u joints never go bad because the rear never moves never had problems with anything letting me down if you have a vibration it could be loose drive shaft bolts

ralph

Last edited:
When my differential bushings were shot it made a nice clunk when starting out.

Sean

my tbird has always grinded in second and the rear clunks some
it has been normal to me for 200k miles the u joints never go bad because the rear never moves never had problems with anything letting me down if you have a vibration it could be loose drive shaft bolts

ralph

I'd still get those u-joints looked at, they DO fail.

When my driveshaft was pulled, and I had the joints replaced, the old ones - one was hard to pivot, the other one clicked like a ratchet (!!)

RwP

If it was driven with a bad synchro, the gear probably has damage to it which will cause a grind to still occur even if you install a new synchro. If this is the case, you won't be able to find a "new" 2nd gear to install. You will only be able to buy good used condition parts. So the proper fix isn't really a possibility anymore.

As I said previously check the differential bushings. If they are completely shot, as they were with mine the diff hammers into the subframe when torque is applied.

Sean

Takes longer to get the jack and axles stands out than it does to change them.

Sean

decided to pull the trigger and bought the car for $500. Im going to pick it up next week. Im going to have it towed to the mechanic before I get it to fix the rear end. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the help!

Back