Downpipe required for Mandrel Exhaust Systems

sdw

After exchanging emails with Josh at Mandrel Exhaust it is clear the system they are building is for the old style manifolds.

Can someone send a passenger downpipe from a '94 - '95 to Mandrel Exhaust Systems in Florida?

Being in Vancouver, Canada and not having one, it is difficult for me to do this. If someone is parting out a late model SC could you cut off the passenger downpipe at the resonator and send it to Mandrel Exhaust?

If the downpipe is just going to go to the wreckers anyway this would be of great service helping us get a reasonable priced mandrel bent exhaust set of downpipes for the late model SC manifolds.

Please let me know?

Here is a link to the product they are offering for the 89' -93' SC's

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-319/91-dsh-95-THUNDERBIRD-3.8L-SC/Detail

Regards

Sean

Last edited:
I dont have one laying around but I know a guy local to me that has several SC's in various states of restoration. Let me check with him and see if he has one he can part with--I know I would be interested in a setup from Mandrel for our cars too.

Will update when I hear something...

That's great. It's the only thing left to do to get my car on the road.

Sean

Did not know there was a difference in the way the manifold bolted up to the down tube?

That is interesting, seeing how MANY of the members here have used late model manifolds on early model cars without a problem

The late model comes off angle slightly more to the rear.

I have an early model exhaust piping I thought was for the late model manifolds and it doesn't work.

I 'll snap a pic this weekend since I haven't removed it from the car yet.

Regards

Sean

So those systems are really only '91-'93 at this time? :( If I still had my original components I would gladly send whatever they needed.

Hopefully someone here will be able to send something. They are anxious to produce these so as soon as they can.

The existing kits fit '89 - '93.

They do have the cat back for the two different tank styles though.

Regards

Sean

Sent a PM to that local guy, with a link to this thread. Hopefully he has something that he is willing to part with.

i know of no differences between the 94-95 and the 89-93, matter of fact i just put some manifolds off one of my 90s on my 95 TODAY because i broke the studs on the collector when i was removing the transmission

i have the manifolds off my purple 95, they don't appear any different than the manifolds that came off one of my 90s

can you clarify on this angle variation? I can post pics if it helps any

what they need to make is catless down tubes. where can i get them dont want to pay $200 for them like scp has.

i know of no differences between the 94-95 and the 89-93, matter of fact i just put some manifolds off one of my 90s on my 95 TODAY because i broke the studs on the collector when i was removing the transmission

Interesting.

I have a set of downtubes I bought that do not fit the manifold that is on my car.

I am going to take a picture just haven't been by the car yet this weekend.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122624

I'm not the only one thinking the manifolds are different and as I said I have a set of downtubes that don't fit.

I will get that pic once I get back to the car.

Regards

Sean

they are different, i went to bolt up the downpipe and the passenger side didn't line up, the driver side is the same but the passenger side has a different angle.

The older passenger side manifold has the collector aiming toward the front the vehicle and slightly out toward the passenger front tire, where as the newer manifold has more of a downward angle.

My purple 95 no longer has the down cats due to that :)

wish i could help but I pulled the mig out the shed and made my own down pipe :)

I would think in order for them to make it 'true' they would have to have a gen2 supercoupe on site, unless someone has some serious measuring abilities, for I do not.

what they need to make is catless down tubes. where can i get them dont want to pay $200 for them like scp has.

They will make them with or without Cats.

I have the ORIGINAL proto types for this system.
I mailed my original Factory downpipe system back to the ball socket after they merged to Florida in a HUGE box for Josh to have his brother do a mock up and match bend pipes and flanges. Josh's brother later died in the middle of the project, that set the entire Mandrel Bent Exhaust business on end for a while!
When I received the 1st Proto-Type I tried to fit it in the car but it had a couple bends that were off, It would not fit.
So with conversation, pictures and measurements they bent up another set. This set did not fit right either. BUT the passenger side from set 2 and driver side from set 1 mated up damn near perfect! With a few more pics and measurements... along came set 3... PRESTO it all FIT! So, I cut a CAT in half and lopped off the ends to mimmick what it would look like on the car. This was a crucial step to getting the Cats in the right place so not to interfere with steering, shift linkage or rub tranny and floor pan. MORE pics and measurements!! And TAADAA!!! there you have the downtubes that you all are talking about and buying at the super low price offered!

The intent behind my communication with Josh was to make a set that was Mandrel Bent (NOT kink bent) and was affordable (NOT $700) and then make them available in many options for the SCCoA community with 2.25 or 2.5 pipe, with or without Cats and also in the various materials they offer at a MUCH lower price than anything else on the market. So after I spent HOURS on the phone and e-mail that turned into weeks, then months and now it has been over a year since I first started this venture with Josh at Mandrel Bent... The system is available to the SC world!! ENJOY!

As for the difference in the manifolds... This is the first time I have heard there was a difference!
We know the passenger side 94-95 has a slightly re-worked manifold inside for better flow but no one ever mentioned a difference of angle preventing them from being a direct swap with the 89-93's.

Last edited:
I knew someone from the SCCOA had to be involved with this! :)

All we need is to have someone in a '94 - '95 roll up to their shop and we would be in business.

There must be someone in the Miami area with a newer supercoupe and a Saturday afternoon free, doesn't there? :confused:

So many posts list the exhaust as the first thing to be done on the modification road. Here's a chance to help everyone with the late model manifold get into a very nice exhaust at an extremely reasonable price.

Though Josh said he would be able to work with a sample of the passenger side downpipe too. Just has to be the complete section from the resonator forward.

Regards

Sean

So we couldn't simply send him a late model passenger manifold? I'm not sure I understand why he needs the downpipe I guess. :confused:

They will make them with or without Cats.

I have the ORIGINAL proto types for this system.

I have also bought a complete set of: 1) mandrel downs w/cats, 2) X-box(magnaflow I believe?), and 3) tru-dual catback since you began this project (Thanks;)). Notwithstanding needing a little more straight runs to get pipe all the way from/to the 3 major components listed it fits great and sounds awsome. However after a long trip at highway speeds I have to comment on the drone factor. If you got a good stereo or you like to hear your engine run... no problem. If on the other hand you got someone who values their peace (read no NVH) you may want ot employ something with more resonation suppression at the mid pipe or at the end (chambered mufflers) instead of the Borla's I used.

So we couldn't simply send him a late model passenger manifold? I'm not sure I understand why he needs the downpipe I guess. :confused:

Since he has the early style downpipes and doesn't have a car to swap the manifolds on I imagine it will be easy to compare the two downpipes and make adjustment bends accordingly.

Or just straightforward reproduce the sample.

Regards

Sean

Well, my haggler friend said he would donate his '94's downpipe if he could get a sweet discount/freebie on one of these systems. Sheesh lol! >.<

Back