Smoke coming from coolant reservoir after sitting for awhile?

92whitebird

Hi, I own a 92 SC with 80,000 miles that is my summer DD. In september I redid the exhaust system (new cats, deleted resonator,etc) everything was good in my mind it ran smooth,no smoke or anything and after that I havent really started it up or drove it since its getting to the time for me to store it. I went to go start it up today and noticed the battery was dead so I jumped it. Literally the second it started up smoke(or somthing) started coming out of the reservoir like a smoke machine!:eek: I immediately thought HGS so I took the radiator cap off to see if smoke was coming from there and there wasnt and there wasnt any coming from the tail pipes either. This all happend in a span of about 15 seconds because I shut the car off in fear of damaging anything if somthing was actually wrong. The car ran perfect the entire time. Was it a combination of fluctuating temps? Its been high 70s in the day and then 2 days later 20s in the night so maybe it was a sort of condensation? Any help would be great, Thanks

Hi, I own a 92 SC with 80,000 miles that is my summer DD. In september I redid the exhaust system (new cats, deleted resonator,etc) everything was good in my mind it ran smooth,no smoke or anything and after that I havent really started it up or drove it since its getting to the time for me to store it. I went to go start it up today and noticed the battery was dead so I jumped it. Literally the second it started up smoke(or somthing) started coming out of the reservoir like a smoke machine!:eek: I immediately thought HGS so I took the radiator cap off to see if smoke was coming from there and there wasnt and there wasnt any coming from the tail pipes either. This all happend in a span of about 15 seconds because I shut the car off in fear of damaging anything if somthing was actually wrong. The car ran perfect the entire time. Was it a combination of fluctuating temps? Its been high 70s in the day and then 2 days later 20s in the night so maybe it was a sort of condensation? Any help would be great, Thanks

If you removed the radiator cap and it was full of coolant and there wasn't any smoke/steam coming out, then I wouldn't worry about it. But it does sound like the radiator cap isn't sealing correctly if you got a puff of steam out of the reservoir at start up, so you may want to replace it.

David

Was your car sitting outside most of the time? Oil look ok?
Yea the car sat outside the entire time,still havent checked the oil.

If you removed the radiator cap and it was full of coolant and there wasn't any smoke/steam coming out, then I wouldn't worry about it. But it does sound like the radiator cap isn't sealing correctly if you got a puff of steam out of the reservoir at start up, so you may want to replace it.

David

The radiator was full when I took the cap off and I even gave the hose a couple squeezes to see if anything was in the coolant. The cap is almost brand new though I replaced it in late Aug.

Another thing is that after the exhaust was done the most I drove the car was around the block once so I didnt even have a chance to get to operating temp.

Back