Electrical Problem :( Short Circuit?

sts70004

I have just started having a problem with my 89 5 speed. Every now and then, there's a short circuit I would guess, when I get in the car, everything is good to go, but as soon as you turn the ignition to run, the lights all dim extremely low, and theres not even enough power to crank the engine. The battery cable gets hot, and then eventually if you let it sit, it will work just fine for days. But when it does this, it usually will act up for 20-30 minutes. Any ideas on where to start looking?

sounds like the starter is developing a "dead" spot. if the positive battery cable is getting hot then the starter is drawing the current, just not doing anything with it.

check all of your connections first, make sure everything is clean. Could be an ignition switch though, pretty cheap.

Last edited:
I would start by looking at all connections going to the starter and the starter itself.....

I agree that the battery cable is heating up because of the amperage the starter is drawing....

I had the same expierence without the hot battery cable, I guess I never checked if it was hot... I had a loose negitive cable coming off the battery. I tightened it and cleaned the terminal and it was good as new.

I have just started having a problem with my 89 5 speed. Every now and then, there's a short circuit I would guess, when I get in the car, everything is good to go, but as soon as you turn the ignition to run, the lights all dim extremely low, and theres not even enough power to crank the engine. The battery cable gets hot, and then eventually if you let it sit, it will work just fine for days. But when it does this, it usually will act up for 20-30 minutes. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Single possibility with multiple possible causes. What is occurring is excessive current draw. This can be due to failed winding in the starter, poor quality cable connections at the battery or the fender relay or the starter. poor quality internal connections in the fender relay.

So what you first do is check the big cable connections at the battery, the fender relay, and the starter. Check the ground connections for the battery and make sure the starter is attached firmly. If no issue is found there in the connections, make sure the cable to the battery is not compromised. Frayed or broken wires inside the main wire.

And finally, could be the starter motor has failed in some way.

I had the same expierence without the hot battery cable, I guess I never checked if it was hot... I had a loose negitive cable coming off the battery. I tightened it and cleaned the terminal and it was good as new.

I think I found the problem. I had never thouroughly inspected my battery cables and terminals, and I found pitting. No obvious signs of corrosion other than that, but I cleaned it up and it's been great since then. Hopefully this solves the issue.

one time my battery was sliding around and on hard left turns the positive terminal was touching the hood and the car would die . i never figured it out until the battery terminal actually melted clear off the battery

ralph

Back