small finned cooler on back of radiator

Superhoop

I have a guy who is putting in a new (actually used) motor in for me and "stuff" keeps happening. Now, I come in to see what was up, and it looks like oil is all over the floor and he is holding what looks like a seperate small cooler with an inlet and an outlet that circles like a "u" through a small (4x6) set of fins. he says it was attached to the back of the radiator. I dont know how this got damaged after a motor was replaced. What is this cooler for? Any ideas? I am sure if its shot, it will be hard to find. Please help?

I have a guy who is putting in a new (actually used) motor in for me and "stuff" keeps happening. Now, I come in to see what was up, and it looks like oil is all over the floor and he is holding what looks like a seperate small cooler with an inlet and an outlet that circles like a "u" through a small (4x6) set of fins. he says it was attached to the back of the radiator. I dont know how this got damaged after a motor was replaced. What is this cooler for? Any ideas? I am sure if its shot, it will be hard to find. Please help?

Either oil or transmission cooler. Is it an auto or a 5 speed? My money is on transmission cooler.

Sounds like the power steering oil cooler to me.

If the mechanic removed / installed the motor through the bottom side of the car (removed the K-member), I could see an accident happen that would damage that little cooler.

It actually mounts below, off to the passenger side of the radiator...if my mental picture is accurate. :rolleyes:

It actually mounts to the side of the core support on the pass side. It is the power steering fluid cooler. It should be attached to a bracket and screws to the outside of the core if I recall correctly. I just replaced my core support over the summer.

Now if it is attached to the back side of the radiator, it may very well be an aftermarket Trans cooler if it is an Auto....

The Motor Oil Cooler is actually part of the oil filter mount.

forme too

think its for p/s but i just replaced my engine and dont know how you can hit this with the engine??? You can still bypass it if you dont find one soon
but one for f-150 like 97-2003 will probalby look like the same thing if my memory dont fool me

Thanks guys. Without eyeballing in depth, I can only guess what it is. I wonder why it would be power steering.

It is a manual, so I assume its not for trans cooling.

Most SC ones are small and on the passenger side front subframe. The later model ones are in front of the radiator and a bit larger. I bought one recently on Amazon for a buddy of mine.
Alan

dont know how you can hit this with the engine???

Maybe the cooler is mounted to the body and the lines are mounted to the K-member? When lowering the K-member, the lines were torn?

I'm not sure...that's one of about 3 things I've never had apart! :eek:
Anyways, I just speculating on the cause... :p

Back