Short Body Injectors

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
If an intrepid soul was looking at fabing up custom fuel rails would it be possible to utilize short body injectors in order to increase the space between the rails.

Pencil style short body high impedance 80lb injectors are available but I'm not sure if anybody has attempted to use them yet.

What size tube would be appropriate for the rail - 3/8"? 1/2"?

I have used these injectors and can get them at a decent price. They work the same as the longer ones. You would want to use 1/2" material.

Is the amount of space you gain between the new rails worth the effort??

It's more a matter of what space you need. If using an AR there is no need for more room. A Whipple is even narrower. If you want to use a liquid cooled KB, then that may be a different story.

Maybe I'm over thinking this but.....

I'm currently at 92-93% on my injectors so I'm thinking of upgrading my 60s to 80s.....if I go to 80s might as well go shorties if that makes for more room.....even though current plan is to stick with 1.7AR but who knows next year or whatever.

Typical snowball thinking here!!

I don't think it's necessary. I built a massive plenum for David on his 2.3L Whipple which is probably as big as you'd need to go with the 1.7L and didn't have any problems with the stock rail location. John's plenum is even bigger and we still used the stock rail location. A lowered rail location is more of a benefit than the width, but of course that would mean making a new plenum to take advantage of that and as I said, it didn't really seem to make a difference on the ones I've built so far.

The TVS is a wider blower and pretty much requires the extra space. That being said, I'm going to be making fuel rails for the shorter injectors for use with that blower so that might save you some effort when the time comes unless you are in a big hurry to do something.

If I do any custom fuel rails with my AR, I'll need shorter injectors. With the super skinny stock fuel rail, it's already plenty tight.
tn_full_DriversSideRailDistance.jpg
[/url][/img]

I don't think you'd actually need more room to use billet 1/2" rail stock. We had enough room for David's billet 3/8" rails on his AR. The deal is that the injectors actually sit up into the rail material when you do the billet vs. the stock rails having cups + a short straight section of tube + the actual rail. So even though the tubing rails are thin wall they take up a lot more real estate than you'd think.

But I have not made 1/2" rails yet so I can't say for sure. It might be beneficial to make them for the shorter injectors. If I did that though I'd definitely want to make a new inlet plenum too. It's a bigger project, but heh.

Back