Import vs Domestic MIR

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
Went down there to check it out. See if it was still a hugh event, it was. Went up there friday for the early bird test session. Think I ran an 11.13 first pass with some tire spin. Was a 1.67 60'. Let some air out of the tires and went back up. Pulled a 1.54 60' and ran a 10.98 at 125 I think it was. Worked on the marauder the rest of the day. The trans started slipping in 2nd gear. Only got a 10.9 out of it.

Saturday came around and I pulled up to the lane for the first pass. Staged and took off to a 1.54 60' got into second gear and the IC tube blew off again. thought dang it there goes a wasted run. While putsin down the track I look up at the score board and see a .000 RT:D. Went thru the traps at 15 something. I decided to see if I could limp it back to my pit cause the place was packed. Got back spitting and sputtering.

Got back and figured I had some time to get the IC tube back on. I tried to crank it back up to make room for another car and nothing happened, dangit. And about 5 mins later they called us back up for another run:eek:. Time to start hustling. Luckily I had some practice from the KY meet:). I was thinking I'm gonna miss this round(this would have been bad, find out later in my story), but I was DOING WORK. They finished up the cars in the lane for first round time runs and came over the air and said they were prepping the track. I was like good a couple more mins to do work. Got the tube back on and made it to the lanes. Made my second pass with a 1.52 60' and ran a 10.88.

Then the waiting commenced. 11 hours, yes 11 hours went by and we finally made our 3rd time run. I went a 10.86 with a 1.54 60'.

Ok sunday time. We get there at 8:30 am get the cars ready and get called to the lanes at 9am. Make the time run at 9:15 and get a pooey 1.6 60' and run a 10.86. Get back to the pits and set tire pressure and wait for round 1 elims that are supposed to happen a 11am. That time goes by and we are watching some racing, 1st round of Pro elims. Then at about 2pm they say they are gonna run 2 rounds of pros then 2 back to back of brackets. Well the 7 second 4 bangers and v8s alike are busting all over the place. Oiling the track down every other run. Finally 8pm comes around and they call 1st round of brackets. Ok we're ready, I've had the car dialed since about 12pm:cool:. Dialed a 10.80 figured that would be good. Got to the burnout box and had to race a 9.0 dialed civic. Got staged, lights came down and I took off on the 3rd yellow to a .-004 red light. Thought oh well its time to leave this place anyway. Car ran a 10.97 but I guess it would of been a close race if I was in the positive on the light.

wow 11 hours Whats the deal with the ic tube popping off? It sounds like you had fun and your car ran well other then the ic tube.The times your car runs is sick man.

which ic tube popped? Think it is due to engine movement?

Nice consistent runs. pretty cool to run under 11's with regularity huh?

You ran some great times congrats. That waiting crap had to suck, come on down to VMP tomorrow if you're not busy.

Sounds like alot of hanging around but some nice consistent runs and seems like you were finally getting the hook up you were looking for.

Thanks. Yeah its nice to be back in the 10's. The axle nut coming loose is what was killing my traction at the shootout and KY. It needs a new hub on the driver side. DSS wants 225 for a new one. I'll pick one up this winter. When I tightened the nut all the play went away so I put some red locktite on the shaft and checked it a couple times over the weekend.

The IC tube that is poping is the one at the return plenum. What I did was cut the stock lower tube to mate to the thin wall ebay tube with a silicone coupler. There is no bead there. It is probably from engine movement as the tube is right up against the shock tower. What I did notice this time around is that the silicone coupler was moving down on the ebay tube not leaving alot on the stock tube side. So I lossened both clamps and slid the coupler up more on the stock tube side. And checked it after each run to see if it was moving. It stayed put. I plan to get a groove machined out of the stock tube this winter to give the coupler some bite on that side.

There was alot of waiting around and missed the bikini contest too cause wasn't sure when they would call us.:( It wasn't so bad being there for 3 days gave us plenty of runs especially friday. But friday is $100 bucks per car to test. We got to watch a bunch of racing without being rushed to tune and fix things. And there is alot of stuff to look at there. There was over 500 cars registered to race.

I'll get a few videos up this weekend. Didn't get much but its something.

I'd like to get some birds there one year. Although you guys are prolly turned off of it now after my review. And you better have all your major saftey equipment too. If I plan to go next year I will submit info on the SC's to see about some rules to get into the true street class. Which I could have qualified for this time but I would have been 31 or 32 qualifier. But if you get knocked out of the heads up stuff in 1st or 2nd round you can jump into the bracket class. They allow GN's with a certain size turbo and a min weight of 3600lbs. And they were checking turbo sizes after the runs.

Also weighed the car and it was 3845 with me.

Last edited:
Im really confused at how an axle nut can effect traction, please explain. If it comes loose theres still like 2inches of spline engagement.

Corey

Last edited:
Congrats Chris! Sounds like a fun time - 'sides the waiting. :rolleyes:

Kentucky was the same way...alot of waiting...alot of 9sec cars breaking and pooping all over the track. Also alot of Corvette and a few Camaro owners that apparently had never been to a drag race before.

Last edited:
Im really confused at how an axle nut can effect traction, please explain. If it comes loose theres still like 2inches of spline engagement.

Corey

With the nut loose the hub was wobbling in the bearing. Basically if you jack the wheel up you could shake the wheel around like a bad ball joint or tie rod end.

Chris,

Congrats!! Glad to hear you got the car back into the 10s. What kind of DA did you have at this race when you made the 10.86 pass, and what was your MPH on that pass ?

David

I wouldn't say the weekend is bad. That is about typical for a large event. I've spent 3 days up at Brainerd International Raceway and received a total of 3 runs couple times. Between the weather, and people breaking on the track, it can just be a pain in the arse trying to get all the cars through. And if there are any really fast cars there, they get the preferential treatment. Late model cars rarely get any love if there are some 8 second cars around.

I think it would be fun. I had that same tube pop off on my car before I grooved the tube ends to hold it on.

Chris,

Congrats!! Glad to hear you got the car back into the 10s. What kind of DA did you have at this race when you made the 10.86 pass, and what was your MPH on that pass ?

David

Friday 4th
10.98 at 123.58 -195ft 1.54 60'

10.88 at 124.80 -251ft 1.52 60'

Saturday 5th
15.03 at 58.31 1.59 60' .000 light:cool:,

10.86 at 125.01 -1383ft 1.55 60',

10.83 at 126.05 -1908 1.54 60'

Sunday 6th
11.13 at 125.01 -1353ft 1.67 60',

10.97 at 124.56 -1320ft 1.58 60'

Last edited:
A few videos
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0cBz-RYKRzA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fEPwYa_wroM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nqpir4Ncdqw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did on 3 different occasions last season.;) During the T&T's in november. Just put a removable back bar in them and be done with it. Only places I think you will have a problem with that is Atlanta and Firebird in AZ.

Back