PDA

View Full Version : oil problems?

schwalbe
11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
okay, so i was driving my 91 sc with a five speed the last time i was home, started to leak oil. alot of oil. enough that i towed it home. i havent looked at it yet, which i plan on doing tomarrow. So, my question is any ideas what it could be? it looks as if it's coming from the passanger side of the car. Any ideas, tips, ect would be nice. Thanks, Anthony.

sdw
11-18-2011, 12:53 PM
It maybe possible your motor mounts are shot and your engine has dropped down and your oil filter has hit the cross member.

What can happen then is it gets bent and sploosh, oil every where.

Don't ask why I know this. :(

Regards

Sean

90coug
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Yep motor mounts, but it took out the oil pan on my Cougar. They were shot and the pan just rubbed on the subframe. By the time I got to it is was a size of a quarter.

Bryce

schwalbe
11-18-2011, 01:13 PM
ah wonderful. yeah i leaked out alot of oil, hopefully not enough to hurt the motor. doesnt seem like the motor has moved at all. So i gotta check all this out.

schwalbe
11-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Yep motor mounts, but it took out the oil pan on my Cougar. They were shot and the pan just rubbed on the subframe. By the time I got to it is was a size of a quarter.

Bryce
Well, i did want to put solid motor mounts in, this sounds like a good time to do it huh? Or just pull the motor and start the strocker? hmm.

RalphP
11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Well, i did want to put solid motor mounts in, this sounds like a good time to do it huh? Or just pull the motor and start the strocker? hmm.

Yes. Both. :D:D

RwP

DrFishbone
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I have had the oil pressure sender fail catastropically before. The gauge still read fine all the while. :rolleyes: Over the period of about 20 minutes (I'm guessin'), I lost 4 quarts of oil, before I realized there was a problem.

Oil everywhere....the horror......THE HORRRROR.

Might check that before assuming the worst. :)

DrFishbone
11-18-2011, 05:29 PM

If your motor mounts are bad - definitely don't wait too long to replace! One of my cars got to the point where I couldn't change the oil filter anymore. :o

schwalbe
11-18-2011, 05:50 PM
thats what happened, drove to a friends house about twenty miles away and the car was smoking. got there, added oil went to walmart filled it, went over by a qaurt and got to my friends and shut it off. towed it home from there, and i had just replaced the clutch and changed the oil. Nothing looked out of place there. So this is why i am asking..

schwalbe
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I have had the oil pressure sender fail catastropically before. The gauge still read fine all the while. :rolleyes: Over the period of about 20 minutes (I'm guessin'), I lost 4 quarts of oil, before I realized there was a problem.

Oil everywhere....the horror......THE HORRRROR.

Might check that before assuming the worst. :)

Where is it located? got her inside, drove it inside. didnt leak any oil. oil filter is fine, the motor mounts look fine.

anlo
11-18-2011, 10:36 PM
i know you said passenger side but what about the oil level dipstick tube ?/

the-big-e
11-18-2011, 11:41 PM
I had a rock fly up and cut a slot in my oil filter.....

I noticed an expanding puddle of oil when I stopped to get gas....:eek:

schwalbe
11-19-2011, 02:24 AM
i will check the dipstick tube tomarrow. i tightened the oil filter. So i know that isnt the problem..

the-big-e
11-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Does it leak only when it is running....

schwalbe
11-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes when its running. infact, the rear of my car is covered in oil. But last night it was kinda odd, there was oil in the car and i got sick of trying to push her up a hill so i started it up and it didnt leak any oil. But yet, the bottom side of the car is still covered.

DrFishbone
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Where is it located? got her inside, drove it inside. didnt leak any oil. oil filter is fine, the motor mounts look fine.

Drivers side, front of the motor, just below the head...it's kinda hard to see if it's coated in grime.

TBirdSC89
11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Oil actually got inside the car? I wonder I'd spraying out somewhere or a hole in the line. Have you done any work to the motor recently?

schwalbe
11-22-2011, 02:19 AM
hmm sounds like a the right place. what would be the best way to get to it? Since now i gotta decide if i wanna park it for the winter, which i wouldnt be able to get to it until spring or swap in in a new motor in my other sc.

Sadly, no i haven;t done any work expect a clutch. I'm still gathering info on a build, and that will most likely take the better part of the winter.

TBirdSC89
11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
well the lines i was thinking of are for the water inlet outlet that goes into the firewall to the heater core. both go from the firewall to both sides of the motor and under just about everything, a real pain to get to unless you take things out. where did the oil get into your car? i had a nasty leak when i got my car it was the valve covers. but nothing as bad as yours. is there any pics you can load on here, maybe of places on the motor like covers, dipstick, where the oil is bad

David Neibert
11-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Oil actually got inside the car? I wonder I'd spraying out somewhere or a hole in the line. Have you done any work to the motor recently?

I think when he said "oil was in the car", he meant normal level of oil was in the engine according to the dipstick.

David

TBirdSC89
11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Uh oh yea good point. I was gonna say how is that possible I've been asking myself that all day stupid me

DrFishbone
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
hmm sounds like a the right place. what would be the best way to get to it?

There is a special socket for the oil pressure sensor (or more appropriately "switch") - which should be available at most autoparts stores. All you should have to do is unplug the sensor (one wire), use an extension and the socket to unscrew the oil sensor, then install the new one and plug it back in. Plugging the sensor back in can be a pain, since it's tucked down in there aways, but is possible.

If the sensor is your leak source, it's an easy, cheap fix. You should be able to tell if it's the culprit if you can find it and shine some light down in the area.

schwalbe
11-23-2011, 12:31 AM
There is a special socket for the oil pressure sensor (or more appropriately "switch") - which should be available at most autoparts stores. All you should have to do is unplug the sensor (one wire), use an extension and the socket to unscrew the oil sensor, then install the new one and plug it back in. Plugging the sensor back in can be a pain, since it's tucked down in there aways, but is possible.

If the sensor is your leak source, it's an easy, cheap fix. You should be able to tell if it's the culprit if you can find it and shine some light down in the area.

hmm i'll have to try and look tomarrow if i get sometime. otherwise, she may just wait until summer..

RalphP
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
If it IS where it's leaking, and you'd like an oil pressure gauge that's not a dial-operated idiot light, check http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75977 on how to convert that to an actual oil pressure gauge.

Or not, your choice. It's what !I! would do if I were swapping anyway.

RwP

schwalbe
11-23-2011, 12:25 PM
If it IS where it's leaking, and you'd like an oil pressure gauge that's not a dial-operated idiot light, check http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75977 on how to convert that to an actual oil pressure gauge.

Or not, your choice. It's what !I! would do if I were swapping anyway.

RwP

hmm i will have to look at that. Thank you for the info.