Needing some SC experts please

TBirdSC89

Got my Sc put back together, and the engine turns over but there is a burning smell. Almost like something is too hot. New battery, got fuel pressure, no upshift light. Moved the battery to the trunk. Did a upper half rebuild, new gaskets and put everything back together to right specs, but now the smell. I'm hoping someone on here has had the same experience or can at least point me in a general direction to where I can pinpoint the problem quickly.

Make sure your engine has a sizable ground to the chassis. If your battery's negative cable is not making good contact with the engine block, the battery will find its ground through a smaller gauge wire which will not handle the current. I also wouldn't crank my engine for more than 10 seconds without stopping. You need a small rest period to let things cool off before trying to crank the car again. The starter draws alot of current when turning the engine over and will easily overheat the starting electrical system. Really need more information though.

Mark

Last edited:
the ground issue is making more sense than i thought, however, upon checking my wiring harness, i found that wire #69, red/lt green, is stripped and broken at the coil pack. after consulting my shop wiring diagrams, i found that it should be going to the ISC solenoid. im not having any luck locating it so any feed back is well appreciated.

I'm assuming that your SC is an 89.....

My EVTM for an 89 shows that wire as #16 and it supplies power to the ignition system...

yes sorry i didnt specify the year. 1989. I think I looked at the diagram wrong, I'm actually not finding this wire on it, so I took a pic in case anyone knows what it goes to. I have no idea how it ended up cut, I'm thinking it goes to the coil condensor? It's the r/lg right under the harness, it runs with the harness going to the coil pack

Attachments

• IMAG0485.jpg
    IMAG0485.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 113
Damn if that's the case I screwed up. It's always the little things that I miss on this car, I have looked up and down the electrical lines on this car for weeks. I'll have to look tonight and fix the wire

Yea its gonna be a pain its tight in there. I've done some pretty cool mods that have given me a lot more room. Than ill have to check the lines from my battery relocation to make sure I'm not screwing up the electrical stuff, that's my other mess up

Got some time to get a real good look at the wire. It was a ground going to the coil pack condensor, I believe that's what its called. I didn't suspect it cause the plastic connectors break easy on these cars and over time just forget about them. Missing another ground off the harness that feeds the dis coil and cam. I imagine it will fire now

Back