Balancer and pulley decisions

HappyChappy

Hey there everyone. I've just purchased my second SC after a decade without one. It needs a new balancer and oil housing so those are my next repair.
My shop and I have priced out the balancer and there are the two options.
The dorman for about $215 from Rock Auto(with discount, thanks!)
Then the BHJ for $385.
My main question is why the BHJ? Does it come with anything that the other one doesn't?? I'm not racing or anything so will the stock one be fine? I'm only planning a few bolt on upgrades(intake exhaust and MAF/TB.)
Then if I'm doing this should I also do the underdrive pulley kits and which do you recommend? 10% or 5% then
Have done a lot of reading and would like some more opinions on the decision so that I can make the purchases here soon and then get it installed/repaired after Thanksgiving.
I have a 1990 SC with a rebuilt engine and tranny.

Hey there everyone. I've just purchased my second SC after a decade without one. It needs a new balancer and oil housing so those are my next repair.
My shop and I have priced out the balancer and there are the two options.
The dorman for about $215 from Rock Auto(with discount, thanks!)
Then the BHJ for $385.
My main question is why the BHJ? Does it come with anything that the other one doesn't?? I'm not racing or anything so will the stock one be fine? I'm only planning a few bolt on upgrades(intake exhaust and MAF/TB.)
Then if I'm doing this should I also do the underdrive pulley kits and which do you recommend? 10% or 5% then
Have done a lot of reading and would like some more opinions on the decision so that I can make the purchases here soon and then get it installed/repaired after Thanksgiving.
I have a 1990 SC with a rebuilt engine and tranny.

The Dorman is the same as the original, all the way down to the aluminum hub.
The BHJ is a steel piece that could be considered a life of car component.
I too still have the stock unit with only 7000 miles on it (Barn find 1989) and am currently agonizing about pre-emptive replacement.
In view of the fact you are considering some minor mods relarive to increasing blower speed and the additional stress you will be putting on the balancer assembly, I think the 160.00 insurance policy might be the way to go.

My opinion,
Rob

yeah you make a great point but man, the extra money doesn't seem like much in the long run, but right now its a killer!!

I've been searching but dont see it and forget which is harder on your engine, the 5% or 10% pulley. I want the more passive of the two if I got that route.

Thanks!

ok so if I do the dorman balancer, and a set of ASP pulleys(anyone have a link to the ones I'd want to purchase??), I need to get a 5% SC pulley as well right? Help with links on where to buy is very much apreciated, I feel liek I've been searching in loops and its driving me nuts!:eek:

Then my mechanic would have all he needs to install the pulley system all at the same time?? Would he have the shorter belt easily accessible from his contacts or is there a special one that is recommended for our set-ups??

Thanks for your opinions!

Back