To any who used a Transgo kit.

TbirdSCFan

Did you have any problems with it, such as it not pumping fluid into the converter?

If you used the kit, did you flatten the O/D band as shown? Any problems?
Did you hammer in the small orifice into the Governor return tube as shown?

Ive had a horrible experience with this POC and wondering what to do about it.

tho I havent personally used it myself... I have read alot of negative posts about. the jmod is the preferred method for sure.

I installed it on my 95 4r70w and the first time I took it out it blew the overdrive band out so I had it rebuilt by a shop and a year later it wasnt shifting right so it went back under warranty and I think they took it out the second time its been great ever since and that was about 7-8 years ago
I thought there was a guy on tccoa that had a better version of the trans-go
I havent heard anything great about the trans-go now and I wouldn't put another in any of my cars

i have been wondering how the transgo aod-hp would work in my 90sc as well, i bought one for my 83 mercury with the aod and everybody that uses it on the fourm for that car love it. i never got around to putting it in that car so i just have the unopened box setting in the trunk of it.

there are 2 diff kits and the cheaper of the 2 isnt nearly as good. the one everyone on the other fourm uses and the one i bought has the optional Hi-Rev Governor kit.

in a 80's ltd this kit with just exhaust upgrades will get a 2nd gear scratch out of the car so i cant wait to see what it'll do to a SC

I have the hi performance kit. I have a degree in engineering. I am well read, and followed the directions to the letter. Reading not once, but twice. But my trans-go VB doesn't just not-perform-better, it doesn't perform at all :(

How anyone else can not have this sort of problem has me stumped. :confused:

I must be cursed. :rolleyes:

I have the hi performance kit. I have a degree in engineering. I am well read, and followed the directions to the letter. Reading not once, but twice. But my trans-go VB doesn't just not-perform-better, it doesn't perform at all :(

How anyone else can not have this sort of problem has me stumped. :confused:

I must be cursed. :rolleyes:

Try a search about trans-go valvebodies on this forum and v6power.net. You will find a BUNCH of people that have had bad experiences with theirs. I don't think it's a case of bad luck.

I thought there was a guy on tccoa that had a better version of the trans-go
I havent heard anything great about the trans-go now and I wouldn't put another in any of my cars

For the 4R70W, one of the engineers (named Jerry IIRC) has some updates that you can apply - known as the J-Mod.

Specs are over at TCCoA - it's against his copyrights to post elsewhere (hey, he was a loyal TCCoA member! What do you expect? :D )

For us AOD users, it's better to talk to someone like Alan (DirtyD0g here and on TCCoA) and get him to advise you, or just cough up the money and have him rebuild one for you using a donor 4R70W (later model, say late 90's - early 00's, he'll tell you) for some of the mechanical parts.

(The latter is what my master plan is. Now to suss the winning numbers for the Powerball or MegaMillions ... :D:D )

RwP

Well....

I will keep you all posted on what happens with my VB! I got plans on having a trans built by Alan since he knows Our cars so well. As for now, the car will be running that Trans-Go VB!:confused:

-Fernando

I have had a TransGo in my 95 for about 10 yrs, with a rebult tranny....never had a prob with it..........
Matt

The trans-go for aod's is an ok kit, a little complex and a high rate of never working again but when they work they work well. The kit for 4r70w's is trash don't even think about it.
Alan

Well I found a small issue with my installation that Im hoping is the cause. The 2 aluminum pins were not fully flush with the top of the VB. Rather sitting up just enough to punch through the gasket and MAYBE hold the plate up just enough to mess up the fluid flow. I filed them down and put on a new gasket. Just waiting for some good weather to try it out.

Unfortunately, I have the Transgo shift kit installed on my '95. It was installed by the previous owner, and after much searching, and toying with the car, I'm sure it's the cause of the BRUTAL 1-2 2-3 shifts. The car honestly feels like it'll snap something if you're not careful.

-Corey

Unfortunately, I have the Transgo shift kit installed on my '95. It was installed by the previous owner, and after much searching, and toying with the car, I'm sure it's the cause of the BRUTAL 1-2 2-3 shifts. The car honestly feels like it'll snap something if you're not careful.

-Corey
There is an extra spring (white colored) in the AOD kit that is supposed to make that happen.. They advise not installing it unless you want hard shifts. If you can find a set of instructions, you might be able to remove similar parts.

OK. Found a teensy tiny little issue with my rebuild.. It helps to install the 1-2 capacity valve in the right direction :eek: Also the 3-4 shuttle valve spring is NOT on the outboard side.. :eek: The only way I found the problems was to put it all back to its original condition and tag each part as I did so. Used a working VB as a reference to help identify the various springs and lo and behold found the problems.

OK, so all is OK now mostly. I dorked around with the 3-4 shift valve in an attempt to defeat the transgo's shift into OD at WOT issue, but ended up reinstalling the TG 3-4 shift valve because the spring rates were different.

Now its all OK. Except I have 3-4 hunting at partial throttle. :rolleyes: :confused:

Last edited:
For the 4R70W, one of the engineers (named Jerry IIRC) has some updates that you can apply - known as the J-Mod.

Specs are over at TCCoA - it's against his copyrights to post elsewhere (hey, he was a loyal TCCoA member! What do you expect? :D )

For us AOD users, it's better to talk to someone like Alan (DirtyD0g here and on TCCoA) and get him to advise you, or just cough up the money and have him rebuild one for you using a donor 4R70W (later model, say late 90's - early 00's, he'll tell you) for some of the mechanical parts.

(The latter is what my master plan is. Now to suss the winning numbers for the Powerball or MegaMillions ... :D:D )

RwP

Unless your in the Ohio area (or will take your car there) Alan won't do the work for you; if you want a mail order AOD SilverFox is your best bet. Though I believe Alan will provide you will all the parts if you want to do it yourself.
I have a SilverFox VB and works perfectly. I did have issues with the tranny after the rebuild but that was a bad seal.

Ralph, a AOD with 4R70W parts ran me ~$1800 from SilverFox now if you got the money I'd drop a 4R70W in there though

I have used Fairbanks products for a long time. Their aod and aod-e/4r70w kit work very well.

AOD - part number 23001-2
AOD-E/4R70W - part number 23007

I have no experience with trans-go or the j-mod.

OK. Found a teensy tiny little issue with my rebuild.. It helps to install the 1-2 capacity valve in the right direction :eek: Also the 3-4 shuttle valve spring is NOT on the outboard side.. :eek: The only way I found the problems was to put it all back to its original condition and tag each part as I did so. Used a working VB as a reference to help identify the various springs and lo and behold found the problems.

OK, so all is OK now mostly. I dorked around with the 3-4 shift valve in an attempt to defeat the transgo's shift into OD at WOT issue, but ended up reinstalling the TG 3-4 shift valve because the spring rates were different.

Now its all OK. Except I have 3-4 hunting at partial throttle. :rolleyes: :confused:

I used to have a Trans-Go in my 91 SC AOD and even when you get it working perfect, it's still got some issues like unwanted shifts into OD (even when shift lever is in D). The only plus from the Trans-Go kit is that it hits the shifts harder.

If you want something that fixes all the issues and adds some cool features, get a Lentech Street Terminator VB with electric OD delete (calibration #2). This VB will shift with a little less firmness (compared to Trans-go medium calibration) in automatic mode, and will shift a little harder when manually shifted.

It also features a revised shift pattern, where 1=1st D=2nd and OD=3rd and 4th. So unlike the stock or trans-go kit, you can hold second gear as long as you want (no more shovel shifting required to race). When in the OD position and you don't want OD, just flip the swith and OD is locked out and it downshifts to 3rd or it never goes higher than third if swith is on prior to reaching OD.

I thought the trans-go was great, until I listened to Kurt K and got the Lentech VB. It one of the best transmission mods I ever made.

David

Transgo AOD HP

I have this on my AOD
currently under second time re build

well my car would always shift from 1st to 3rd althogh the shifts were ok never felt like it was what i was expecting i always thought i had a stuck 1-2 valve
so i got a another stock valve body
took it apart step by step cleaned all the valves makes sure i had no stuck valves

then went step by step with the transgo kit
found out the guy who put it together made like 5-6 mistakes
forgot two O rings
a spring missing
the wrong size holes on the plate
and the wrong springs on the capacity valve

so fixed all these things... but little did i know all these time my tv adjustment was wrong and i had a cracked 3rd accumulator that was leaking pressure i believe ,and intermediate clutches were Burnt really bad overdrive ones and the od band also on their way out
this was only less than 5k miles since rebuilt
with those raybestos special blue plate clutch pack

Out come after doing the shift kit right took it for a test drive and it only took going from first to second...
i snapped a direct input shaft

opened it up and realized all that was going on inside :/

keep in mind my car is barely less than mildly modded a few bolt ons here and there but i doubt far away from 300rwhp

kept hearing people say i would snap one of these input shafts unless i had about 400rwhp thats why i never added one in the first rebuild

Last edited:
At this point, I've thrown in the towel. The higher pressures blew out the oil cooler in the radiator, so I bypassed that with an external cooler.

However, that only got me some time before the forward clutch stopped engaging... I barely got back home. The coolant that got into the transmssion no doubt did some damage. So I swapped out the whole AOD again :mad: and once AGAIN tried the TG valve body.. I got this screeching noise and it engages but won't take the normal amount of fluid. So.. I've had it. I restored the VB back to stock and other than the larger holes in the separator plate, thats how I'm keeping it. The restored VB took almost 1/2 gallon more fluid and NO screeching.

This kit blows chunks IMO...

Last edited:
Yep

Tell me about it
i might just get a lentech valve body if i see the budget up for it
even tho i have a huge external oil cooler with a fan
the intermediate clutches are trash
im going to get a hardened shaft to make sure this doesnt happen again
and well im not sure if i should try the transgo or not anymore -.-
the response and shift feel was very very hard with a 2500-2800 stall converter once i did the shift kit right and it felt good this time i was actually getting second shift and third not just 1st to 3rd
but then it was just too firm it snapped the input shaft

@dirtydog I sent you an email about this
i want to get a hardened direct input shaft from you Alan

Back