Buzz,Rattle,Moan..Stumped

ecyrbh

Hope you guys can help me out again,I know this isn't SuperCoupe related,but maybe some of the Ford technicians have experienced this before...
2000 F150,SuperCab,5.4,Automatic,2wd,Gibson shorty headers,Magnaflow(Lightning) exhaust,117,000 miles...
I have an irritating moan/rumble/buzz that resonates throughout the cab and can also be heard at times outside the cab.It only does it at idle or just above idle in gear,doesn't matter whether its in drive or reverse.I can duplicate the noise by just barely touching the accelerator with my foot on the brake or with the e-brake.It is below 1000 rpm's and reverberates like a subwoofer.I have removed all of the heat shields above the exhaust,loosened clamps and retightened,loosened engine and trans mounts and resettled them,removed my bedliner,and installed an additional vibration damper further forward of the original.This has been happening for a while,but has progressively gotten worse.
One thing that I did yesterday was to put a jack under the exhaust hanger/isolatator bracket that is mountedalong with and above the transmission mount and the vibration went away.I know it sounds like I solved my own problem,but has anyone else had this same problem???..Can I remove this hanger without risking damage to something else???..I've searched,but is this a common problem,or should I just replace the hanger???.. Please help me out..!!!

I had a similar experience with my 01 F150. The honeycomb had broken loose inside one of the driver side converters and would make a bunch of noise at low rpm only. I found it by tapping on each one with a rubber mallet.

Yeah,I've done all of that,but its not that type of noise..It's weird that it comes and goes, but I'm still waiting on a part from Ford to arrive so that I can put it on,...Here's a pic of the hanger/insulator that I'm talking about...

Attachments

• Exhaust hanger 1.jpg
    Exhaust hanger 1.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 53
i worked for ford from 99-2004 mostly doing recall work and diagnostics for them we had issues with the trans vibration dampener the wrist pins rattling at low rpm the cats breaking loose and rattling like crazy but he bigggest was the actual driveshaft itself getting a resonant noise from the driveline at low rpm mostly in neutral or park under 1k your best solution is if the new vibration isolator does not fix the issue is to get a driveshaft made at a driveline shop for it they use heavier wall tubing than ford did and it wont resonate like the stocker does
u may also be getting that noise from the headers as the factory iron manifolds dampened alot of the white noise from the exhaust

Last edited:
Would you think that by listening to it,with a stethiscope, on the driveshaft itself,that I should be able to hear this noise.???...give me an idea of what I need to do here,short of changing out the driveshaft.....This shaft does already have a vibration dampner as part of th front yoke,but that is only for rotational movement,the noise that is question here is when the truck is not moving... P.S...The driveshaft is aluminum....

Last edited:
Back