PDA

View Full Version : "*Possible*" Dyno tuning session in NY/NJ coming up, who's interested?

XR7 Dave
11-23-2011, 01:45 PM
As the title says, *IF* there were a dyno tuning session scheduled in the NJ/NY metro area in the next couple weeks, who would be interested in having their car tuned? I might be in the area and am contemplating the practicality of staying an extra day to do some dyno tuning.

If this happens, cost would be $150/ea + dyno time. We don't have a dyno yet, but count on $150 for dyno time as a rough figure. Cost is assuming you already have tuning hardware (chip or QH). If you need hardware it will be provided at additional cost.

Just gauging interest right now.

Miller
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Out by me there is a dynojet that is $75 for 3 pulls. I have a buddy who hangs out at that shop checking on an hourly cost for us. ( if it were to be done out here.... )

I'm in !

Ira R.
11-24-2011, 11:11 PM
You know I am always interested.

Ira

Mikessupercoupe
11-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I might be interested according to work load:D

SCrazy
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't be up for a tune...but might come down and hang out for a day.

Miller
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I dont think I can be ready by those dates you had mentioned in your PM. maybe the later date, but I have class that first monday and I can't miss it. I am going to be putting longtubes + the 95mm TB on, and im not sure if it makes sense to tune with stock manifolds to change them out right after then tune ? whats you think, Mr. Dave

XR7 Dave
11-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Do work son.

XxSlowpokexX
11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
lmao..work will be done this weekend

Miller
12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Just saying, that the longer this can be put off, the better! I got inspected yesterday and took it for its first drive longer then a mile since it was put together. Everything is kosher in the beginning and after maybe 10 minutes of driving it I get a CEL, and then my KAM goes to and stays at 1.000 .. no change in driving so idk. I have to try and figure that out, and get the TB and the exhaust installed and running good enough to get it to you.

your going to roadtune it and get me a nice part throttle too right ? Im having an issue where if I jam on my brakes n stop sharp the car wants to stall, or if I flip my fan switch on sometimes the draw wants to stall car out.

I also dont know when or where this is happening so....

XR7 Dave
12-04-2011, 12:42 AM
You can't run the fan on a switch. Put it back on the EEC.

Miller
12-04-2011, 09:33 AM
it hasnt been on the EC for years. it stopped working, and I tryed everything I could think of and it just wouldn't turn on.

when is this supposed to happen CAPTAIN

Miller
12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
soooooooooooooooooooooo......wanna give me a hint when this is going to happen

XR7 Dave
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Looking like next weekend or sometime around that. I hope to have the car running that I have to deliver by Tuesday, then I make firm plans from there. I may come during the week if that is workable with you.

Miller
12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
During the week would have to be in the evening. I already have to take off nest monday for school so It would be a ballsy move to take another.

XR7 Dave
12-11-2011, 11:03 AM
During the week would have to be in the evening. I already have to take off nest monday for school so It would be a ballsy move to take another.

It doesn't matter to me, it's a matter of having a dyno available.

Miller
12-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Theres a shop over here where the owner is a music class teacher during day and speedshop by night. when you have a better idea of when, let me know and I will find something.

Ira R.
12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
If it's during the week let me know. Dave you know my guy will stay open for us and he isn't that expensive. I would have to check with him for updated pricing though.

Besides I would love to be there if I can work it out.

Ira

Miller
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
any update on when ? its going to have to be a few days knotice to setup the dyno so0o0o0o0ooooooooooooo

XR7 Dave
12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Just started the car yesterday and now it's snowing here. I need some dry roads so I get e few miles on it before taking it back to NJ. How's next weekend?

Miller
12-18-2011, 01:32 PM
It may be hard to find a dyno open on christmas eve.
Theres a dynodynamics I found pretty close to me, and I know of another guy with a dynojet. They are both $100 an hour so it kinda just depends on what you prefer, and when it is exactly. what day were yuou planning on

Ira R.
12-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Let me get this straight. You're delivering a car some time Christmas weekend. You're going to get a ride from Jersey to LI, or are you towing the car you're delivering? You're going to do some tuning if you can find a shop open and then your driving an empty trailer back to a pi$$ed off family because you spent Christmas with us?

There are two problems I see with this plan. Driving home with an empty trailer and how quickly can Connie find a red dress to wear to your funeral :eek:

Ira

XR7 Dave
12-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Yep, you pretty much summed that up.

So things went awry on my end this weekend. I had hoped to get a lot done and maybe be heading that way right now. However, the devil had other plans and instead the whole family (all 5 of us) were down all weekend with a violent stomach flu. We are just now coming around so I think this week is shot.

On to plan C. I am planning to spend New Years in DC with my sisters, so maybe we could work it out so I come down on Thursday?

Miller
12-20-2011, 06:53 PM
The chistmas weekend thing was going to be a pain anyways. I figured you ot divorced and wanted to be away for te holidays. Which thursday are you talking about ? I'm fine with whenever. Im just happy your coming when its so convienient to me that I have everyting together that I wanted, so Im not to much in a rush. . Would yopu rather dynojet or dynodynamics or Iras guy ( idk anybody about iras guy )

XR7 Dave
12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Ira's guy has a dyno jet. If you want to trundle on over to the island then we can do it there. I'm talking about the Thursday before New Years. Or maybe even Friday if they are open.

Miller
12-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Dreamland is also on the island you geek. :rolleyes: Thursday befor sounds good to me so long as its an evening event. We can use Iras guy, I think its good to keep bringing the biz to somebody who remembers you rather then a new guy who dosent care. ( so long as its not much more then the $100hr theswe guys are tellin me )

Ira R.
12-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Ira will call the place today. If it's Thursday I can't get there until 5:30pm but that shouldn't be an issue for them because he doesn't like to block up the shop during the day with a car on the dyno. Let's see what they have to say first.

I can be probably be free all day Friday though. I also have to send you an email so we can actually begin that discussion we never had at the Shoot Out. We were interrupted when you began handing out awards and I was handing out hog :p

Ira

Miller
12-21-2011, 09:43 AM
During the day isnt really good for me because I would have to take off from work. I cant really take the $ loss from that if at all avoidable...

Ira R.
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
You have an appointment for Thursday 12/29 at 6:00pm. Tentative pending schedules and cost approval. I told them I would call next week to firm things up. Cost $120 per hour

Speedworld
598 Sunrise Hwy
Baldwin, NY
516-771-2525

Ira

Miller
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Ira, are you also getting tuned ?

XxSlowpokexX
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
SO when do I get to unload my stuff?//////That sounded bad

Miller
12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
what...........

XxSlowpokexX
12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
The AR and MP FMIC...Hes picking it up or Im dropping it off to him

Ira R.
12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Damon what the heck are you talking about??

I'm not planning on having the car tuned. There's nothing wrong with the way it runs now, it just isn't peaked for the track. So there's no point until I install the new parts.

Ira

Miller
12-23-2011, 09:25 AM
so I will see about the place closer to me. Baldwin is pretty far from here and if I am the only one getting junk done, then the guy in Deer park is half the distance for me. I will try and find out today.

Ira R.
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
so I will see about the place closer to me. Baldwin is pretty far from here and if I am the only one getting junk done, then the guy in Deer park is half the distance for me. I will try and find out today.

Whatever is best for you just let me know. I will manage to get there. In the meantime I will start planning a real meal and sleeping arrangements for the rest of his crew while DD and his young apprentice are working their magic for you ;)

Miller
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I tought about it and I am cool with baldwin. If i go to the deer park guy then there would be a big peanut gallery of the local kids hanging out watching....and thats no bueno.

Ira R.
12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Whatever you and Dave decide to do is fine with me. Let me know for sure and I will call the shop and confirm the booking. If he is still thinking Thur that is the best day for me anyway.

Ira

XR7 Dave
12-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Ira, please check out Friday evening also. Time is not important to me, but I might want to try for Friday.

Ira R.
12-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I will see if they plan on working late that night. I have to say that Friday is not a good night for me. You certainly don't need me there to do the work and I will do what I can if I have to but I will be on call that evening so I may be very distracted.

And Gail won't be around that evening and that changes the dynamic as well. I will email you later tonight.

Ira

Miller
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
so I am under the assumption that we are still on for thursday ? If it would be able to switch to 6:30 that would be good for me. I am working out in New Hyde park this week and I am going to have to leave a little early to be able to make it at 6. but if its any sort of issue then I can just leave a little earlier.

All I have to do is test the meth injection and then put together an emergency kit of things that will go wrong for me then im ready 4 action.

Ira R.
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I called and confirmed Thur evening. You need to shoot for 6:00pm. Although there is a chance we may have to wait a few minutes if they haven't finished their daily work yet, if we're late and they have finished and are waiting for us I can't vouch for how long they will sit around.

I can be there by 6:00 though so it shouldn't be that big an issue.

Miller
12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
you confirmed this with Dalkey right ? Im sure 6 will be fine, but my car has a nasty habit of being a pain in the ~~~ whenever it has somewhere to be.

Ira R.
12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
you confirmed this with Dalkey right ? Im sure 6 will be fine, but my car has a nasty habit of being a pain in the ~~~ whenever it has somewhere to be.

I confirmed the dyno for one car based on posts that were made previously. No one has told me otherwise, nor has anyone else chipped in an opinion about being there to watch or needing work done.

I could guess that Dave is delivering that car in Jersey that he mentioned earlier and then coming across the bridge for the evening but I don't know that for a fact. In the meantime, I plan on being in Baldwin at 6:00pm Thursday night to see how both you and the car respond to some serious tuning ;)

Ira

Miller
12-27-2011, 11:24 PM
As far as I know its just me. I was talking more about if dave had decided on thursday as he mentioned friday. thursdays good so Im going to hold him to it!

As far as how we respond to some serious tuning, I will be the guy walking back and forth in the waiting room like somebody waiting for child birth. as for my car, probably will be alot of kicking and screaming. Im bringing alot of tools so dave can just fix whatever I effed up ;)

Miller
12-28-2011, 10:14 PM
DO WORK DAVE! DONT LET ME DOWN! I packed basically my whole garage into my car to take care of whatever the black cloud brings me !

XR7 Dave
12-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Need an address for the dyno. Someone text it to me cause I won't get emails anymore. I should be there on time barring any unforseens.

Miller
12-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Im nervousssss

David Neibert
12-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Im nervousssss

Well...how did it go ?

Miller
12-30-2011, 05:02 PM
I spent the afternoon puking from stress and now IM GONNA GET DRUNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. thats how it went. we shall discuss this in the spring. its time for a vaycation.

over and out

90coug
12-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I spent the afternoon puking from stress and now IM GONNA GET DRUNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. thats how it went. we shall discuss this in the spring. its time for a vaycation.

over and out

That doesn't sound good. Let me guess. Your bird spilled glycol all over dude’s Dyno and you frantically shuffled around figuring out a way to get it back in order. To no avail and all the time and money spent on this event went right down the gutter with the antifreeze.

Am I close?

BLOWN38
12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Am I close?

I don't think so. Good story tho.:)

Newbie, my street tune made 450 hp so it shouldn't be that bad.;)

Miller
12-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Well I did get drunnnnnnnnnnnnk but I also decided to stop being whinney about it and dragged the car over to the garage. A friend came over and motivated me to rip everything down just to be sure to not miss anything... annnnnnnd ;)

this time it shall go together with love.

David Neibert
12-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I did get drunnnnnnnnnnnnk but I also decided to stop being whinney about it and dragged the car over to the garage. A friend came over and motivated me to rip everything down just to be sure to not miss anything... annnnnnnd ;)

So it didn't go well :confused:

BLOWN38
12-31-2011, 01:44 PM
I heard it ran like a beast.:eek:

XR7 Dave
01-01-2012, 01:27 AM
So it didn't go well :confused:

Nothing went well. It started by my getting semi lost in Brooklyn trying to get to the dyno, ended up being 45 minutes late and the dude would not stay for us. So we did not get on the dyno as planned. We gave up and scheduled dyno time for the next morning 9am. We show up at the shop but no one is there. After sitting there till about 10:30 and not seeing anyone or being able to get a hold of anyone we gave up and left. I had places to go and couldn't wait around all day.

So we took the car out on a side road and just booted on it a bit. The car is a beast, it really does haul azz, but we discovered it was not tunable due to mechanical issues. For some reason the 80lb injectors were at 110% duty cycle by 5200rpm with the motor going lean at the same time. The car has updated fuel line (-8) and an Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, but for whatever reason it's not getting fuel. Without a fuel pressure gauge there wasn't anything else we could do.

Then as we approached home the car started sputtering and died and became increasingly difficult to keep running. We found what seemed like a vacuum leak at the back of the blower, but the 02 sensors weren't indicating a lean condition so we were left scratching our heads.

Later on on the car would not start, but I had long since left so I don't know what happened for sure other than Jason said when he pulled the blower off the intake manifold was full of coolant. I am not sure how coolant could get into the intake manifold, but that is where the investigation is headed now.

I'm sure Jason will post when he discovers the problem.

neverfastenough
01-01-2012, 02:28 AM
At least the shats fast

Ira R.
01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Well all I know is that by not putting the car on the dyno we probably saved an engine. No, it was nothing serious, in fact it was something pretty simple and kinda dumb once you think about it, but the engine builder has learned a valuable lesson, still has an engine that is power scary and now has the chance to correct a few things and bring it all together. He will have to provide any details if he chooses to.

But like he said, "puttin it together with love". No more throwing one part at a time at it anymore. The age of interdependent parts has dawned and we may have seen the last of P.O.S. Racing I'm afraid. Unless of course he decides to take a sledge to the fenders or paint it Army Green :)

Ira

Oh, and for anyone who may be wondering no, we didn't. Putting my car on the dyno and looking to finally get the tune right and see what the current numbers are was never part of the plan this weekend. Sorry. Maybe this spring.

David Neibert
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Jason,

Do you have a list somewhere of all the go-faster mods on your car ?

David

Miller
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
im not really good at lists but roughlyyyyyy

Rebuilt motor bored .030, forged rods + pistons ( i think ? )
1.7L Autorotor
SCT BA 2400 MAF
MP 95mm TB
4" intake tube
Raised top
MP FMIC
Griffen Radiator
dalkey big inlet
dalkey ported lower intake manifold
dalkey CNC big valve heads
.602 lift cam from dalkey
Scorpion 1.73 roller rockers
5% JS pulley
80# siemens injectors
-8 supply / -6 return lines
340lph Stealth fuel pump - rewired
meth Injection w/ dual nozzles
Quarterhorse + LC-1
3.73 gears
Manual steering rack
Battery moved to trunk
uncomfy for weight reduction
JAZ plastic seats
midlength headers + 2.5" exaust
9.5" Precision torque convertor w somewhere around 3000 stall
Shift Kit + upgraded solonoids

neverfastenough
01-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Why is your supply smaller than your return?

Miller
01-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I wrote it wrong perhaps ?

David Neibert
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
im not really good at lists but roughlyyyyyy

Rebuilt motor bored .030, forged rods + pistons ( i think ? )
1.7L Autorotor
SCT BA 2400 MAF
MP 95mm TB
4" intake tube
Raised top
MP FMIC
Griffen Radiator
dalkey big inlet
dalkey ported lower intake manifold
dalkey CNC big valve heads
.602 lift cam from dalkey
Scorpion 1.73 roller rockers
5% JS pulley
80# siemens injectors
-8 supply / -6 return lines
340lph Stealth fuel pump - rewired
meth Injection w/ dual nozzles
Quarterhorse + LC-1
3.73 gears
Manual steering rack
Battery moved to trunk
uncomfy for weight reduction
JAZ plastic seats
midlength headers + 2.5" exaust
9.5" Precision torque convertor w somewhere around 3000 stall
Shift Kit + upgraded solonoids

Jason,

Looks like you have everything needed for a 440-450 rwhp mid to low 11 second SC. What transmission ?

David

Miller
01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
mmmm...time-bomb transmission. its a stock mustang trans that we did a jmod on and upgraded solonoids and such on... its got a 3000ish stall. so far no problems, but the car never really gets many miles on it.:rolleyes:..

my last trans lasted me about 6K miles...