PDA

View Full Version : Mid Summer Meet 2012 (Long but worth it)

Cheeze
11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey guys. I know I am not very active on this board. I wanted to post a feeler thread about possibly having a meet at the Hocking Hills State Park in Logan, Ohio on the last full weekend of July. I am VP of Ohio Probes and we have been hosting this meet for the last 12 years. This has been a very fun meet too however, in the past couple of years the numbers have been dwindling. It kinda makes sense to me since most of the members and attendees we college folk and most people don't say when I graduate I am gonna go buy a Probe. I am organizing this meet this year for at least one more weekend of debauchery! If I can get the head count back to its glory days, I will continue to host it. Thats where I need you guys! In the past this meet was for the most part exclusive to the Probe community. You can check out some of the old threads from the past Hocking Hills meets on Probetalk.com. I am experimenting with combining more of my passions. I am officially inviting the Supercoupe community to our humble little meet, especially since I am completely infatuated with my birds. We used to get guys coming from all over the place, such as the General Midwest, New England states, Canada, Florida, California, Hell one year we had a guy fly in from the Cayman Islands. This is usually camping meet. We reserve a campground with RV hookups, provisions for tents and a hotel within a mile of the camp. Most people show up on Friday and stay through Sunday, we always have some people show up on Saturday and leave the same day. Friday is usually a meet/greet day with campfires, ALCOHOL, laughter and what not. Saturday we usually get up and wash the cars, head to the park lodge and have a little non official car show. After the show we have a cruise along the completely awsome Rt. 664. After the cruise we usually head out to one of the main attractions of the park, Old Man's Cave (pretty cool too). I like it when we go take a walk through the trails. They have one spot that is awsome for group photos too. After the trails everyone is free to do as they please. Later that day we have a small awards ceremony for the show back at the camp. After the awards we light up the campground nightlife again. Sunday is when most people pack up and say their goodbyes and head home.

I really wanna keep this meet alive. I am having this posted on the LincolnvsCadillac forums, as well as the Stangbangerz boards and obviously Probetalk and here.

Let me know what you guys think. It is a fun time and you get a chance to meet some great people (ME) LOL

Cheeze
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I know the idea is early, but wow. 52 people looked at this thread and no replies. I am surprised.

scskydivin
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
I would go if I lived in Ohio.

Kurt K
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I know the idea is early, but wow. 52 people looked at this thread and no replies. I am surprised.

Like you said, it is an early notice. I think most people are thinking about getting through the holidays. For me, I'm planning on being a Long Haul participant on the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour in early June, so there is no way I can even think about this until after I get back from the Tour.

Cheeze
12-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Fair enough guys. This thread for the most part is just a feeler to see what kind of reaction I get so that I can work on the planning accordingly. Like for example, How much of the campgrounds I need to reserve. After I get a rough estimate on amount of people, I can get a cost on the camping.

rzimmerl
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I believe Dave Dalke hosted an Ohio meet around that same time this year, and would assume he would do it next year.

rzimmerl
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Like you said, it is an early notice. I think most people are thinking about getting through the holidays. For me, I'm planning on being a Long Haul participant on the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour in early June, so there is no way I can even think about this until after I get back from the Tour.

Kurt,

Do you have the official dates and cities? I believe it starts in Detroit this year and I would interested in going along for a couple days.

Kurt K
12-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Kurt,

Do you have the official dates and cities? I believe it starts in Detroit this year and I would interested in going along for a couple days.
Since you are too lazy to look it up on your own :p

Saturday June 2 Detroit, MI
Sunday June 3 Muskegon, MI
Monday June 4 Champaign, IL
Tuesday June 5 TBA
Wednesday June 6 TBA
Thursday June 7 Stillwater, OK
Friday June 8 Arlington, TX
Saturday June 9 Arlington, TX (Long Hauler Awards)
The rumor is that St. Louis will be one of the TBA stops, and possibly Springfield, MO

rzimmerl
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Not lazy, its all blocked content when I searched for it at work.:rolleyes:

Kurt K
12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Not lazy, its all blocked content when I searched for it at work.:rolleyes:gotcha! I can't check any webmail or go to any gaming sites. Never did the games, but I used to check personal email at work.

mellbutler
01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
we are in Indiana, and have been to hocking hills...might be a good excuse to some time alone and stay in a cabin there. will have to see but, interested...can't say I am interested in probes though, sorry.

Bill Evanoff
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I might consider this outing too.

I'm in the Cincinnati area so we are only a couple hours away from Hocking Hills. I've been there many times.

I remember the last time I was there we were on a trail and I said to my friend, "Hey, be careful these rocks are really slippery.". I immediately began to slid down the rocks right into the creek which thankfully was only a 3 or 4 foot drop. I was covered in mud. Good times.

I'd hate to be the only right wheel drive (whoops, I mean rear wheel drive) car present but the roads around the park are just awesome.

Share more details as summer approaches.

Cheeze
02-13-2012, 11:34 PM
As said before. This meet is presented by Ohio Probes since that is where the meet originated and I am still an active member, I won't be taking the meet away from us Probers :D! I am working on finding some small sponsors as far as door prizes, goodie bags, and what have you. That's not entirely going too well but I haven't been putting forth much effort either, since it is kinda early for most people to be giving this meet much thought. I am however, giving more thought towards the (Right Wheel Drive) cars. I have some people from Stangbangerz coming as well as some FN10 guys. Plus I should have my bird and possibly my V8 RX7.

spada
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
I will chime in here and say that I have been to three of these meets with the Probe group, and it is a total blast. I know the Thunderbird guys laugh at Probes and the owners, but it is a great group of guys and gals to hang out and camp with for the weekend. Most of the Ohio Probes guys could probably disassemble and reassemble our supercoupes in a weekend's time. You really get to learn a lot about a person when you hang out by a campfire, drink beers, laugh and talk till 3am.

If we still go to old man's cave, the winding drive there is so much fun. Highway 664 rules!

anyways, I am going to try my best to make it back to Hocking Hills. The memories I have of that place are great, and I want to make more memories with my family. I love supercoupes and Probe GT's, and the respective communities.

I make one request.....can we bring back the arm wrestling contest??? Were you present for the first annual arm wrestling contest Cheeze? I believe that was HH2K4

Cheeze
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I was there. It was a humiliating loss for me! LOL I actually didn't participate in that but was an excellent cheerleader!

XR7 Dave
02-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Just read this post now. Being you put it in the Midwest forum I just figured it must be a Nebraska/Kansas thing.

I'd be down for it. My summer schedule gets really hectic, but it's not that far from me. I'll be having my open house about the same time, but it doesn't have to be same weekend. ;)

Cheeze
02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I am actually starting to get a bit giddy about this years meet. I think it will be awsome having more of a variety of cars at the meet. The probe community is starting to get a bit stale, however I still have a soft spot for the probes. Too many cars is my problem. I got 2 supercoupes and 3 Probe GTs, and a 351W Mazda RX-7

SpiresBuilt
03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi, I am Mrs. Cheeze.................and I would like to introduce myself. I will be helping out with various parts of HH2K12 this year....... especially the HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition. I have been a part of the Hocking Hills tradition for many years so I know what it used to be like. It just hasn't quite been the same in the past few years........ so we want to keep the tradition going with a few new events. So I have a one idea to start off with.

1st idea:The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition
Now we can’t just give out the detailed information about The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition, but here’s a sneak peak! Feel free to give me or Cheeze your feedback!!!!!

Objective: You and a co-driver will travel in your vehicle and find the objects listed below. The team that comes back with the most points…….. wins 1st prize! In case of tie breaker, one example would be: which ever team came back first would win 1st place. Another example would be that the out-of-state license plate that is found the farthest away from Hocking Hills, will win 1st place. Regardless of the place you finish in, everyone wins a prize!

When: Saturday July 28th 2012.

Time: TBA

Cut off time: One hour from posted start time. Anyone showing up after the cut off time will be disqualified.

Perimeters: Will be around the immediate camping area; no further than 4 miles away.

Items needed: You will need a digital camera or cell phone with a camera in order to participate. Pens and paper will be provided for you.

Requirements: Road safety is paramount when participating in The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition. We require you taking a co-driver or friend with you to help spot clues so you can keep your attention on the traffic and pedestrians without being distracted. If there are any reports of dangerous driving, you will be disqualified. Everyone is responsible for following the law of the land.
You may have more than 2 total people in your car during the competition.

We will draw names out of a hat at random to see the order in which you will go out for your The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition! As you get ready to start, we will hand you the list at that time. From there………. you are on your own! Have fun!

Here are some examples of what you could find on your list:
Picture required:Picture of 35mph speed limit sign. 1pt
Picture of stranger wearing a Ford shirt. 5pts

No picture required:
Head south from McDonalds, go 1/4 mile……..what is on your right? 2pts
How late is AutoZone open on Saturday night? 1pt

Quiz Questions:

1. What did Wayne drive in "Wayne's World"?
a) Ford Pinto
b) AMC Pacer
c) AMC Gremlin
d) Chevy Nova

2. How many meals a year does the typical person eat in a car?
a) 10
b) 20
c) 33
d) 50

Prizes: Winners will be awarded the prizes once everyone makes it back to the meeting place and scores are tallied. The official winners will be determined by the Vice President and Co-Vice President. The winners will be able to choose which ever prize that they want from what is being offered. Only 2 prizes per team to the driver and co-driver.

Pre-Registration: I would like to get a sign up started showing the groups wanting to participate in The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition. Please come up with an appropriate Team name. If you are willing to be the driver, please list the Color / Make / Model of your vehicle that you will be driving and list a co-driver if you already have one. If you are unsure or need one, that’s ok too. For those who know they will not be driving, but want to be a co-driver, please let us know so we can pair up teams accordingly.

Confirmation of registration must be completed within 1 hour of the start of The HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition on July 28th 2012. Please see Chas Spires – Vice President of Ohio Probes or Sarah Spires – Co-Vice President of Ohio Probes.

2nd idea: Shirts
I want to get a feel if anyone would be interested in buying HH2K12 Cannon Ball Run Competition t-shirts?
Until I have a count, I don't know the exact price......maybe $10-$20

I was going to start working on a design and see what you all think. Once I have a design everyone likes, then we can start ordering in advance. One thing I was thinking of doing was for those that pay in advance could have their Team name put on their shirt.

Let me know what you all think!!!!!!!!!!

Cheeze
04-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I hope traffic pics up within a month or so. I would love to make this a successful meet. I would like to meet some of the folks that share the same love for these cars as I do.

Cheeze
06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Getting closer. Any takers? Just trying to get a feel for you guys

mellbutler
06-25-2012, 04:39 AM
just don't have the funds this year...sorry:( i know how hard it is getting people to come to things...hope you guys make it to the shootout! we will be there for that, I wouldn't miss it for anything!

Cheeze
07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I am shooting for the shootout! No pun intended. The meet that I am hosting just got moved for the few that were contemplating on going. It will now be held on my property here in Felicity, Oh. Same weekend same huge amount of good fun. Just different scenery.