intercooler removal

anlo

quick refresher question can intercooler be removed without disturbing sc top ? cant remember if once intercooler bolts to tubes are removed is ther enough room to pull intercooler or do i have to remove entire top tube and sc top
about to do the real oil pressure deal and the stupid bracket is of course in my way which is about to be thrown as far as i can. i got the power steering pully ready just need intercooler out of my way with the least amount of resealing i have a teflon gasket ive been meaning to put on the top joint to intercooler anyway
dont have the special oil sender socket and didnt want to spend the 11 dollars on it.. so going old school with some channel locks once the useless bracket is out of my way..

Im sure you can, from what i remember you dont need much room to pull the intercooler, just undo top and bottom tubes and it should clip right out. if not get a big hammer

removing the top does not take all that long, and after pulling the intercooler you still have to reseal the pipes putting some more rtv on the top will insure you wont have to do it again for a little while anyway

Yeah, I just installed a double intercooler and I didn't have to mess with the top tube at all

You can remove it without removing the top, but it is really eassy to pull the 4 bolts off the top.

You dont need a special socket for the old sender,just use a 1-1/16 deep socket with a paper towel stuffed in it...I did the sender mod on my 91 without removing the intercooler,tubes,or the power steering bracket.Take the main drive belt off along with the tensioner and if you take your time,be patient,it can be done by using a 14mm or 9/16 open end wrench and flip it over each time.The hardest part is getting the new sender through the opening and the getting the position of the block extension just right....Good Luck

good

thanks thats what i needed to know new sender is quite bigger should be fun but worth it how did you reposition the block extension ?

You can remove it without removing the top, but it is really eassy to pull the 4 bolts off the top.

True, but it is also really easy to strip the bolt holes in the blower case. So I wouldn't do it unless you have to.

(By now, I have helicoiled all 4 of the blower bolt holes ... so I am not worried about it anymore.)

It has a hex on the end of it so that you can use a wrench.Be carefull,the last thing you would need is to break it off in the engine block.Also use some Teflon tape or liquid Teflon on the threads of the new sender,even if it has sealer on it like most of the better ones do.

Back