Tips and tricks to remove 1992 dash

90turbo1

So while I was getting my 1992 painted, we let it sit in sun one day with out a windsheld. and bam!!! dash cracked almost that fast.

so found a black dash pad that is soft and looks almost like new in salvage yard, what are the tips and tricks for getting that out as quick as possible from the bone yard so I dont freeze to death.

thanks

If you want to keep the dash in sano shape, then there aren't any.

Well, find someone younger who works good, and bribe them with plenty of legal libation of choice :D

RwP

as stated

take your time with it and get a friend to help, possibly even 3 people to prevent the chance of cracking the dash even more

typically they crack at the overhang just as yours did, thats a very brittle section of the dash and is always in the way when trying to remove it or install it

if your going to replace it i'd recommend a newer style dash, i prefer the way they look over the older style, much more warmth to it. Thats what i'd do. And the chances of finding another newer style dash in great condition if you just so happen to damage yours is much better as well.

Steps I took when I removed the old dash in my 89 were:

Disconnect the wiring harness under the hood and work the connector back into the interior.

Starting on the Drivers side, I removed the panel below the Steering column, The metal bracing panel behind it(keep it handy, as you will put it back on before you remove the dash as it keeps the dash from flexing and cracking), Disconnect the wiring to the steering column and remove the column. Disconnect the wiring to the brake and clutch (if it has one) at this time also

I removed the finishing panels(drivers vent panel, Guage surround, and the Instrument panel itself), the two panels on the top part of the dash to reveal the 4 bolts at the top, the center console(top and bottom), center vent panel which reveals the two center nuts, and lowered the glove box door so I could disconnect the fan blower. I also removed the A-pillar panels, and both kick panels (on the passenger side you disconnect the connectors for the stereo system, the antenna harness).

Once all the wires were disconnected I removed the center nuts, the two bolts on the passenger side, the two bolts on the drivers side, the nut hidden on the drivers side thats accessable through a lower opening and on the dead foot pedal bracing bracket. Its there you just have to find it, lol.

I then put that brace thats under the steering colomn back on and the I removed the 4 top bolts and CAREFULLY began to pull the dash from the cowl. There may be some other wires to disconnect but I think I covered them :eek:

Hopefully you will have someone to help you because the dash is quite awkward to remove. Careful around the shifter as it can be a pain. Once I got the dash off the cowl I rolled it towards the back once I cleared the two center guide pins where you removed the two nuts. You can let the dash rest on the seats. I think the easiest way to come out is through the drivers side.

Anyways thats how I removed mine and hope you find this some help.

Steps I took when I removed the old dash in my 89 were:

Disconnect the wiring harness under the hood and work the connector back into the interior.

Starting on the Drivers side, I removed the panel below the Steering column, The metal bracing panel behind it(keep it handy, as you will put it back on before you remove the dash as it keeps the dash from flexing and cracking), Disconnect the wiring to the steering column and remove the column. Disconnect the wiring to the brake and clutch (if it has one) at this time also

I removed the finishing panels(drivers vent panel, Guage surround, and the Instrument panel itself), the two panels on the top part of the dash to reveal the 4 bolts at the top, the center console(top and bottom), center vent panel which reveals the two center nuts, and lowered the glove box door so I could disconnect the fan blower. I also removed the A-pillar panels, and both kick panels (on the passenger side you disconnect the connectors for the stereo system, the antenna harness).

Once all the wires were disconnected I removed the center nuts, the two bolts on the passenger side, the two bolts on the drivers side, the nut hidden on the drivers side thats accessable through a lower opening and on the dead foot pedal bracing bracket. Its there you just have to find it, lol.

I then put that brace thats under the steering colomn back on and the I removed the 4 top bolts and CAREFULLY began to pull the dash from the cowl. There may be some other wires to disconnect but I think I covered them :eek:

Hopefully you will have someone to help you because the dash is quite awkward to remove. Careful around the shifter as it can be a pain. Once I got the dash off the cowl I rolled it towards the back once I cleared the two center guide pins where you removed the two nuts. You can let the dash rest on the seats. I think the easiest way to come out is through the drivers side.

Anyways thats how I removed mine and hope you find this some help.

hey thanks man, those are good directions.

as far as worrying about the harness in the junk yard I am going to do a bone yard no no i guess and probably cut the harnesses. I just need to be extra carefull about the dash itself in the bone yard, when I take my car part I can be somewhat careless about the dash but I need to be carefull about the wiring. so i guess its a swap.

now about the newer dashes... what all has to be changed to install a newer dash? does all the newer components swap in? or is there a wiring harness I need to get if I decide to do this also.

i do agree the newer dash is very sexy in the car but if I can get the 92 dash out with out killing it then I will do that. this car in the bone yard looks very very well taken care of and has tinted windows (even windshield) so all interior parts are not brittle in this one.

Well, if you cut the harness, then you'll have to work the harness out of your old dash and into the new dash.

Makes more sense to me to pull the harness as part of the dash.

The mounting points are different for 94+ dashes over the 89-93 dashes, and the wiring harness is also different (although that changes in the same year depending on options and which speedo cluster, so eh.)

Let's add that the DOOR panels also change to suit the different dash.

I'd stick with that 1992 dash, keeping the harness if both cars are equipped the same (same radio option, both auto or both 5 speed, etc.), and taking your time.

I can't emphasize - TAKE YOUR TIME. It's cold, so the dash WILL be more brittle than if you were doing this in late July.

After you get it out, find a decent protectant, and clean / wipe down that new dash several times before you even THINK about doing the actual swap.

Do you have a garage (ideally heated) for your car?

RwP

ok, thanks, yes the cars are identical, 1992 5 speed cars, with silly cd player in lower dash.

ok, so I will dedicate this next sat to just pulling the dash from the bone yard car.

i will post pics when I get it out

Back