Low boost

stump881

I have a 89 SC. Got it from a guy who didnt drive it much while he had it. I also dont get to drive it as much as Id like too since I work out of town often. I had it in the shop to fix a few things that had wore out over the years. Well, I was having a idle problem where the car seemed to be running very rich and had a loss of boost. I done some research on here and started to check different stuff. The oil is good, as is the antifreeze. So that takes out the HG being blown. I have used either on all the vac lines and the SC tubes. No leaks that I can find. I did change the O2 sensors today, and that seemed to take care of the rough idle and rich running smell.

I guess my question is, would a bad MAF sensor be my problem? I took apart my current one and cleaned it with some lectric clean. And I have a new MAF sensor on order.

You might want to check the supercharger fluid and see if it is full I had a similar problem with mine and the front seal on the SC had blown have you tried unplugging the MAF and seeing how it runs? just a thought

Make sure your bypass valve moves freely and nothing is keeping it from closing off for boost. What is the vaccum at idle?

Vacuum sounds about right and was the same for me when I had the similar problem. Did you by chance remove the set screw and check the supercharger fluid other than that may have a leak somewhere in the piping you can try spraying it with some soapy water around the seals but be careful not to spray it on electrical components. Hope this helps.

what about your gauge? did you check the vacuum line going to it? does it drive like it's lost boost? take a piece of hose and hold it to your hear and go around your ic tubes, top ect. if theres a leak, you'll hear it.

It shows 10 pounds boost when im WOT. I was running around 12-13 pounds before it started to act up.

Checked the hose going to gauge and it seems fine.

And will try the hose to ear thing this weekend.

Last edited:
Back