What did the 4.2 crank come in?

Dahoopd

Just wondering since I am always frolicking in the you-pull-it yards what the crank came in. When I grow up I want to live in a you-pull-it

Just wondering since I am always frolicking in the you-pull-it yards what the crank came in. When I grow up I want to live in a you-pull-it

i have one for sale if you are looking for one.. ;)

tho to answer your question i THINK....

any truck or van with a 4.2 motor

i have one for sale if you are looking for one.. ;)
tho to answer your question i THINK....
any truck or van with a 4.2 motor

I knew you had one, thus the reason I asked you via PM prior to starting a thread. But you couldn't answer correctly. Ford, Chevy, Yugo? 1955, 1962, 1997?

F-150 and E series vans from 97+

Thank you. It may benefit someone else in the future when Im goofing around in the yards.

I need an electric power steering pump from a 200-2005 toyota mr2 Spyder...if you come across one..WIth plugs..Just sayin

I knew you had one, thus the reason I asked you via PM prior to starting a thread. But you couldn't answer correctly. Ford, Chevy, Yugo? 1955, 1962, 1997?

Thank you. It may benefit someone else in the future when Im goofing around in the yards.

i thought we had talked, but i didnt look in pm's just messages in the thread:rolleyes:

I need an electric power steering pump from a 200-2005 toyota mr2 Spyder...if you come across one..WIth plugs..Just sayin

Saw the post, already kept that in mind. You helped me out a great deal in the past. I might not own an SC anymore but I'm still the SCCOA redheaded stepchild.

Already found that out! LX doesnt = SC
It's funny because I had this conversation with someone back in 1990. I had just bought the XR7 and was in love with it. I was taking someone for a ride and the guy was completely intrigued by the XR7 and was just gushing all over about how nice it was but he said "he didn't need the XR7 package" because it was $4000 for just some extra hp that he didn't need. It wasn't a question of him having enough money to afford it so I was explaining that it wasn't just a $4000 trim package. I got the "deer in the headlights" look. lol

As for 4.2L cranks, they aren't all the same. I don't have an exact listing on which ones are which, but some are partial external balance and some are all internal. We need the all internal ones. If the harmonic balancer has a counterweight then you don't want it. I think some of the truck ones are the external counterbalance ones but I'm just not sure. Once they are out of the motor you can't tell the difference though so that can bite you if you aren't positive.

Forgot to say, the 4.2 came in trucks, Windstars, and Lincoln continentals (I think), but I'm not sure what years.

As for 4.2L cranks, they aren't all the same. I don't have an exact listing on which ones are which, but some are partial external balance and some are all internal. We need the all internal ones. If the harmonic balancer has a counterweight then you don't want it. I think some of the truck ones are the external counterbalance ones but I'm just not sure. Once they are out of the motor you can't tell the difference though so that can bite you if you aren't positive.

not sure where you go that info. but all of the 4.2L i have seen or heard about are internal. and a few ppl(work at ford on engines) that should know for sure have said the same thing.

not sure where you go that info. but all of the 4.2L i have seen or heard about are internal. and a few ppl(work at ford on engines) that should know for sure have said the same thing.

I didn't hear the info, it is taken directly from experience. I double checked my information just now because I don't like giving inaccurate statements. The crankshaft in question is a truck crank casting #RFF65EAC. I did not remove it from the vehicle so I don't know anything about it's history but I do know that it required mallory metal to balance. When this was checked against reference material (listed in the Hines Balancer - http://www.hinesindustries.com/ - crankshaft reference manual) it states that certain 4.2L crankshafts require additional weight to the HB end of the crank due to a partial external balance. It doesn't state which part #'s or specific applications.

I have only had this happen one time so I can't comment on the frequency of this condition. I had hoped that there would be a date code or part # that would confirm what we observed and what Hines states, but that is not the case. I generally use new cranks which has avoided the issue entirely.

As for the OP, in the process of checking this I can tell you that the 4.2L was offered in 97-06 Ford full size trucks and vans as well as certain 04-07 Freestars and Montery's. Keep in mind though that those minivans were also available with the 3.9 which looks the same as a 4.2 so be sure to verify casting #'s on the crank. 4.2's will start with RFF65 whereas the 3.9's start with 4F2E.

It's hard for me to understand why Ford stopped making this crankshaft, if they were still being used in new production as recently as 2007.

David

Last edited:
Its a shame they aren't easily accessible at a you pull it without a ton of work. I found 4 97 F150's today with the 4.2 in it. I almost attempted pulling one just to see what time it would take to do it. Figured since I don't own an SC anymore, what was the point. My luck it would end up being broken in half or something.

I did find a 97 Ford Exploder with the 5.0 that 345,811 on the odometer :D. I thought that was kind of odd.

Since Scat is now making this crank, it's not really necessary to take your chances using one from a salvage yard motor.

David

Back