ACT sensor re-location

Dahoopd

Don't flame me for not knowing or asking a dumb question. But is there a reason why the ACT on the SC cant be moved from its factory location to the cold air intake tube like the 5.0 guys are doing? I assume with ACT temps being a problem for the SC, wouldn't moving it help.

Its suppose to limit the timing pulled when it gets heat soaked and "increase HP". Like I said I don't have a good understanding of how it works. I did move mine on the 5.0 I have only because the Cobra intake didn't have revisions for the ACT sensor. I didn't want to have the lower intake drilled and tapped.

Unfortunately listening to 5.0 Mustang guys is dangerous to your health. lol Seriously, there is a TON of misinformation in that group and it dies hard.

1) Ford knew full well that having the ACT sensor in the manifold was going to cause it to read hotter. Programming in the EEC reflects this. When Ford put the ACT sensor away from the motor there are accompanying changes in the programming to recognize that as well. I changed your chip to reflect the new location.

2) The ACT sensor retarding timing is a function of the flame properties of the heated air. Moving the sensor doesn't change the fact that heated air burns faster and is more likely to detonate than cold air. Yes, the 5.0 guys move the sensor (or remove it) and think it helps power, but a proper tune will do the same thing.

3) On an SC, moving the sensor simply defeats it's purpose. Yes, you will get more ignition timing by moving it but you will also put your motor at extreme risk by denying the EEC the ability to recognize elevated ACT's. There are plenty of people who have blown headgaskets and worse by defeating systems that were really there to help them.

On an SC (or any motor) reducing inlet charge temps so that it is not NECESSARY to pull timing will definitely increase HP. Denying the EEC the ability to pull timing when temps rise is a sure recipe for failure sooner or later.

Hope that makes some sense.

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time you did to explain. Now I have a better understanding of the function. Thank you also for correcting the chip for me. (and not putting a slap in the return package for moving the act)

I assume the act relocation will pose a problem in the future when I put an M112 on top of the 5.0

When I installed a SVO M112 on my wife's 4.6L Tbird, I relocated the IAT from the airbox to intake runner #5 on the discharge side of the supercharger.
With a proper tune, the new location keeps the engine safe. Fooling the EEC is a recipe for disaster.

Attachments

• SVO-M112.JPG
    SVO-M112.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 102
When I installed a SVO M112 on my wife's 4.6L Tbird, I relocated the IAT from the airbox to intake runner #5 on the discharge side of the supercharger.
With a proper tune, the new location keeps the engine safe. Fooling the EEC is a recipe for disaster.

Nice! If you have an old lady like mine, she can never be left out. What did you pull the M112 twelve from.

Back