Random miss/ stutter

90SCTHUNDER

I'm asking for help here because you guys have probably forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know! :p

I have a 90 SC, 122xxx miles. It normally runs pretty well, but recently I was on the highway and it started bucking like a bronco! I tried stepping on the gas, and it had on effect. When it was acting up, the tach signal started.. bouncing a little bit. I pulled over and put it in park, and the engine sounded like it had lost two (or more) cylinders.
The tach was bouncing in between, I'd say 800 and 400 rpms, and then it died. I restarted it, and it acted like nothing had happened! It started up smoothly, ran fine, and was fine for 5 miles or so, and then it started doing the same thing.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before?!

I was thinking so too, however I just changed the HB out less then 5k miles ago, and the crank sensor too. The cam sensor has about 30k on it.

Could the cam syncro be not aligned right?

DIS Module is another item to look into.

I replaced that with a BWD from O'Reillys roughly 6 months ago, and I have a separate ground wire ran from it to battery ground, because that failed and left me stranded. :( Unless it could have failed already.....

You could verify the HB bolt hasn't worked its way loose. Happened to me on the way to work about a year ago. Had a BHJ on for a few years. Never touched it. Drove fine for thousands of miles. Then one day on the freeway, the same thing happened to me. I looked down there and 'well I'll be darned', the bolt was gone! The only thing (kinda) holding the balancer on was the main belt. And we all know that isn't very effective. Now I've got 3 spares in the garage just incase.

I'm asking for help here because you guys have probably forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know! :p

I have a 90 SC, 122xxx miles. It normally runs pretty well, but recently I was on the highway and it started bucking like a bronco! I tried stepping on the gas, and it had on effect. When it was acting up, the tach signal started.. bouncing a little bit. I pulled over and put it in park, and the engine sounded like it had lost two (or more) cylinders.
The tach was bouncing in between, I'd say 800 and 400 rpms, and then it died. I restarted it, and it acted like nothing had happened! It started up smoothly, ran fine, and was fine for 5 miles or so, and then it started doing the same thing.

i have a 90 that did the same exact thing.. it would buck like crazy and the tac would bounce.. the tac didnt work at all except when it bucked up.. it was very hard to start as well.. i change the ignition control module and that did nothing.. i was unaware that the parts store tests those things at the time.. so when that didnt work i changed the cam sensor and everything was fine... i would change the camsensor.. it should be under $30..

the cam sensor is keyed by the way so u can really mess up changin it ursellf.. just 2 little 4.5 mm screws hold it down.... take ur time and be gentle.. dont break it.. lol.. keep us posted..

Fixed!!!!

It was the cam sensor!!! Again.... I just replaced it not 4 months ago. Is there something that could make it short out or something of the sort?

Back