No start problem I need help diagnosing

mikedenton49

So here's the deal:
The car was running perfectly when I went to work last night. It rained. This morning I go to turn it over and it just cranks and cranks. Then, when I release the key, it fires a couple times and shuts off. I can repeat this any number of times, at least til the battery gives out. I checked for all the possible loose connections, and practically every sensor on the car is new. I have plenty of fuel pressure. Hell everything under the hood is basically new. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like a bad ignition switch....

I had one in my 89 5 speed act kinda like that.....

Crank and crank, but it would only start if you backed off the key a little.....

Yeah I thought that seemed a good starting point. The only thing is, my car also has remote start, which also will not start it. Perhaps they are simply linked in some way I don't understand, so I will change the ignition switch today and report back.

Thanks,
Mike

I have owned an 89, 91, 92, and a 95. All of them have experienced this problem at least once. Problems have included ignition switch, crank sensor, cam sensor, DIS, coil pack, coil pack condenser, spark plug gap.

If the upshift light flickers or stays on during cranking - most likely crank sensor - this is very common.

Ignition switches are crap. Plastic shell separates from metal base causing spring-loaded contacts to separate. If you install a new one, carefully peen the metal tabs over the plastic for a mor robust part.

Car should start if the cam sensor is bad, just may take ten to fifteen tries.

Try reading the stored codes if there are any. Members are very good at sussing the problems from the codes.

If you get a coil failure code, it is very likely that you have a spark plug with an overly wide gap.

DIS modules are very sensitive to heat and electrical noise, especially aftermarket parts. This whole system depends on good grounding and intact shielding. Note that the crank and cam sensors have separately grounded shields wrapped around them. Make sure that they are intact and making good ground. The coil condenser is meant to suppress electrical noise that is generated when a spark plug fires. The voltage needed to fire a plug increases with the gap of the plug sometimes taking thousands of volts more than a properly gapped plug. The electrical spike (noise) that results from the field collapsing can raise hell with bad grounds and DIS modules with bad noise immunity.

Back