A whole 97 miles on the new engine....its knocking like the old one....not as loud

Smkn600ctd

SON OF A MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

97 miles on it as of today. Came home from work....pulled it in front of the garage to check the oil and coolant levels and for any leaks. No leaks, oil full, coolant full, engine quiet.

Get in the car to start it up....and I hear this old familiar noise......A DAMN KNOCKING NOISE!!!!!! Said to myself...you must be hearing crap. So i get in it to drive it around the block and re-park it. Nope...my ears are good.

You can feel the knocking if you put your hand on the intake/TB. Its rpm dependant...rev it up...and it knocks more rapidly. Its sounds the same as the old engine, but not as loud. It sounds like its coming from the bottom.

Now I gotta hear from the wife, how she was right and I should have called pick a part to come get for the car. GRRRRRRR!

Hey I should look on the bright side......its under warranty LOL!

1995 S/C Pearl White Auto

yup just get it warranted and be on with it... just make sure you follow there warranty procedures to the "t" some times they want to see the car first or have a place that the "recommend" for diagnosis and if you dont follow it they can deny the warranty.

good luck

Oh its going straight over to the ford dealer on Tuesday......3yr/unlimited mileage warranty. I am not messing with a thing on it.

The engine invoice from the ford dealer in one hand, and the installation invoice in the other.

Noise is coming from the drivers side.

Back to driving the 4.6......

The engine was purchased from ford. The install was done by a private shop. The cost of the engine was minimally more than from a regular shipped engine.

Another prime example why this country is going to hell. It's like fewer and fewer people do they jobs correctly the 1st time or take pride in their work.

Called over to the dealer today. Said no problem warranting it.

Gonna drop it off Monday am, said I should have it back by Friday.

ok not to sound off base here, but have you checked the supercharger? Worn ones will chuckle aka knock at various speeds. You can test this by disconnecting the supercharger belt. Yes the car will run horrible but it will run long enough to see if the knocking sound will go away.

Not the engine at all!

Ford called this am. After taking the belts off, the engine is silent.

The crank pulley has 3 different style bolts of which one is half way out and crooked/cross threaded. So I have the shop owner who installed it the engine to get his axe over to ford and look at this cluster F of a install. The balancer is on the crank, the pulley is crocked.

Plus the thermostat housing is leaking, and the ps pressure line is dripping.

Just glad it's not the internals. Now the fight comes to get him to pay Ford the 120 diagnosis and him to pay for a new BHJ balancer!

Here's the pics of what the bolts on the crank pulley looked like. 4 bolts...3 different styles....plus the one that is practically out.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

That would be a problem. :rolleyes:

Does the shop still think the SC 3.8 is just like any other Ford 3.8?;)

Hope to hear its up and running and the shop helps with the fixes required. At the very least you know what needs to be done for the fix.

Am I the only one who loctites everything I take apart? I have a huge fear of bolts flyin out when I'm driving. Good luck man, at least the engine is ok. And wait, arent the crank pulley bolts a special bolt to begin with?

Am I the only one who loctites everything I take apart?

Likely yes you would be one of a very few. I assume you use Loc-tite 242 (blue) and not 272 (red).

Properly installed bolts, in the correct application should have no need of thread locking compounds. It may help to learn how bolts work.
http://www.algeo.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_1.htm

For the original poster. Most likely the mechanic installing the motor did not notice that the crank pulley must go on in a very specific orientation, otherwise the bolt holes won't line up correctly. That they let it out the door without the crank pulley flush against the balancer does bring into question any of the work they have done.

professional install doesn't mean professional quality. When I see this I'm glad that I do my own work. My screwups seem on par with a shops :eek:

Back