AOD tranny.

89tird

After trying to sell my 90sc with a slipping AOD, i think im just going to replace it and keep the car, insurance is only like $40 bucks a month.

Now I want to buy a cheap replacement since this is like my beater that i barely drive, AOD's are too expensive and very hard to find used since all the ones I find are from 5.0's and N/A birds, C4 auto i would not mind even if i loose o/d since i dont do long travels with the car, but again they are expensive too.

How about a 4r70w with a full manual valve body? that way i dont need a transmission controller to control shifts right?

After trying to sell my 90sc with a slipping AOD, i think im just going to replace it and keep the car, insurance is only like $40 bucks a month.

Now I want to buy a cheap replacement since this is like my beater that i barely drive, AOD's are too expensive and very hard to find used since all the ones I find are from 5.0's and N/A birds, C4 auto i would not mind even if i loose o/d since i dont do long travels with the car, but again they are expensive too.

How about a 4r70w with a full manual valve body? that way i dont need a transmission controller to control shifts right?

How expensive is expensive?

And you can buy a stand-alone controller for the 4R70W. Or use an EEC and wiring harness from a 94-95 SC, if you can find them.

I'd stick with an AOD. I mean, the current one lasted, what, 20 years? :eek:

'Course, you could put a 5.0 or N/A AOD behind it, and take the time and rebuild the one out of your car, then put THAT one back.

RwP

Well with a 4R70w you will need a new drive shaft on top of the tranny, rebuild, VB and converter.

I got my AOD for $1800 with converter and VB (that's with a life time warranty). You would have to add ~$150-$300 for shipping, but if your car is stock could get a cheaper build than I did.

A 5.0 AOD will work for stock SC just need to change the O/D servo to an A+ unit and I would suggest a good VB and TC.

Well these cars aint work crap, so a rebuilt tranny is going to be more than what the car is worth. The car is in excellent shape so thats why i rather fix it than junk it.

I could get a 4r70w for like $200 locally, then I know the manual vb is going to be the most expensive part around $500, comes out to $700 still cheaper than rebuilding an AOD. I did not know about using a different driveshaft i though they used the same housing?:confused:

The car is midly modded, 10% JS, kw double Ic with fan, ported manifold outlet, single cats,single exit exh in front of rear wheel, ford reman eng, jasper aod (slipping).

I dont really need another daily driver, I havent driven it in 4 months. I wouldnt mind making it a track car, with a c4 or a manual 4r70w.

If you are going to a full manual VB in the 4r70w, you'd be better off rebuilding the AOD to be full manual. Otherwise, you've got wiring, shorter driveshaft and maybe a different shifter. Plus, if you are buying a used 4r70w from a yard, who's to say it won't be slipping in the near future.

I just installed a 4r70w in my maverick sporting a dss 306. My resources were cut at the last minute so I ended up buying the B&M full valve body conversion. The process is straight forward for the conversion. Yes you will need a shorter driveline, in this case I would just get a custom one built. Have you ever seen the sc driveline? you can polevault over your house with it. I would grab a 98-01 4r70w from a v6 mustang or v8 5.0 explorer.(for the correct bolt pattern) These transmission are rate at nearly 500#s of torque from the factory. They may wear but never break!. You'll have to wire the lock-up and OD to switches also. I'm running the quicksilver shifter which allows me to shift the 4r70w by tapping up or back on the shifter. For note the AOD is the easiest way to go. 4r70w the long road. Best road? take the guts out of a 98+ 4r70w and place them into the AOD. You'll need a corrected valve body for the difference in shifting but you'll have a awesome AOD that will never break.

woowhoo, a local shop is going to be rebuild the AOD for $595, they have good reviews online, the car is going to be picked up on a flat bed in about an hour.:cool:

Its actually $495 xmas special :eek:,.they took off the pan, fluid was black.

It usually cost around $350 just to remove/reinstall the transmission, so $495 is a super cheap deal. I wouldn't expect a high quality rebuild for that price, but even if it only last another 40K miles it will still be worth it.

David

cars are too expensive.

lol well he called me and said the torque converter is shot, hes going to save it for me to see it, the rear engine seal is leaking. And these are the performance parts that are going in.

2200 stall converter $250
hardened shell $170
rear engine seal $60
A+ servo $120
fluid and filter $80
B&M shift kit $140

the grand total is $1201 :(, but atleast the tranny should be good for a while.

lol well he called me and said the torque converter is shot, hes going to save it for me to see it, the rear engine seal is leaking. And these are the performance parts that are going in.

2200 stall converter $250
hardened shell $170
rear engine seal $60
A+ servo $120
fluid and filter $80
B&M shift kit $140

the grand total is $1201 :(, but atleast the tranny should be good for a while.

So much for the $495 Christmas special :rolleyes: From what you have listed, sounds like you are getting the ole bait and switch deal. Strongly suggest getting a written warranty.

David

So much for the $495 Christmas special :rolleyes: From what you have listed, sounds like you are getting the ole bait and switch deal. Strongly suggest getting a written warranty.

David

I know what you mean, that's what i started thinking when he told me the price, he's writing the warranty on the invoice.

I could of gotten the tranny for 495+250 for the converter+80 for fluid and 60 for rear seal but i wanted to add all the extra stuff just for the future.

What hardened shell? It isn't a 4l60e the only shells are not hardened the options are long or short. The short one goes with the late design reverse drum and allows for mechanical diode to replace the roller clutch and a 2 inch band will fit.
Alan

What hardened shell? It isn't a 4l60e the only shells are not hardened the options are long or short. The short one goes with the late design reverse drum and allows for mechanical diode to replace the roller clutch and a 2 inch band will fit.
Alan

He told me stronger shell, maybe AODE sunshell?, Im going to call him tomorrow morning and write everything down.

Back