magnum power intercooler

marksters72

hey guys im considering buying magnums intercooler kit, is there a better kit or better priced kit out there? and bang for buck is it good buy?
thanks mark

hey guys im considering buying magnums intercooler kit, is there a better kit or better priced kit out there? and bang for buck is it good buy?
thanks mark

I'm not aware of any other FMIC kit made for an SC. It is a good quality kit and has enough capacity to support over 450 rwhp. Bang for the buck is not really something most people say about this part, because on a stock car it isn't going to increase power, but on a highly modded car a bigger intercooler like this one, is something you must have to keep air temps down. I installed the MP FMIC kit when it first came out around 2003 and at the time I was making around 300 rwhp and gained about 20 more by replacing my double IC with the MP FMIC. I'm still using it today.

David

thanks dave. my plans are to mod in near future, i like the car i cant leave anything stock!hahaha right now stock gonna put full exhaust and thought would get intercooler then go from there. any input would be greatly apreciated. still want it very drivable.

Do you have any other modifications to the car or is it mostly stock? the exhaust would be a good place to start. But in all honesty, a FMIC on a mostly stock car will not give you much bang for alot of buck. a double IC from Ken Wagner is a good upgrade for a 250-350hp car. any more a FMIC will do, but letting the car breath better, and letting it exhale better will give you much more performance. take the money from the IC, get a good flowing exhaust, look for a 94/95 blower, port it, and go from there, maybe OD pulleys, and other bolt ons, by then youll catch the SC bug and be tearing apart motors!!

good luck!

Well it is the only front mount kit you can buy..And its awfully pretty looking if your into those kind of things. As David said its pricey and will help you out more when you really modify the car than it would now. Look into a kenny wagner double IC. Its inexpensive and will serve you very good for now

The stock IC is marginal both CFM and cooling. Honestly as Dave said the MP will work for you up to probably anything you will do. But A new MP front mount delivered is probably $1400 and then if your talking a good rad like a griffin your at $2,000 .I absolutely loved my MP as it allowed the AC to work wonderfully, looked great and worked. You cant go wrong with it.

Now when you OD the SC it produced a crapload of heat. In our cars the EEC will cut timing if ACT gets to high...So a good IC is important. Stock IC..I wouldnt go more then a few PSI

I absolutely loved my MP as it allowed the AC to work wonderfully, looked great and worked. You cant go wrong with it.

You are the first person that I have heard say they didn't have AC problems after installing a MP front mount. I know of at least two people that ditched their AC because they couldn't run it when the outside air temps were above 90°F since it would cause the engine to run too hot.

You are the first person that I have heard say they didn't have AC problems after installing a MP front mount. I know of at least two people that ditched their AC because they couldn't run it when the outside air temps were above 90°F since it would cause the engine to run too hot.

Damon and Mike Menke old car has been the only cars I personally know that dont have AC and overheating problems. Ive been chasing a solution for quite some time on my blue car, I might have had a solution with a larger fan but the freon dissapated and I was unable to test it in the summer time. I did seem to solve it some when I had the SPAL Xtreme fan but that fan died a slow death after a season.

But on the Anniversary the car had no problems cooling with the stock fan and now after the MPIC swap I hear it cycle on ever minute or so this in the fall with tems in the 50s. I dont think the A/C will work on this car well either, I might have to up to a bigger fan on this car also. But going from a restrictive IC to this IC the car picked up 6-7 MPH. Thats a big jump.

Didnt casey put in that dual pass rad and hardly made it up to opperating temp ? Seems that may be a good fix for all the overheating guys

His IC will work as well. Its not as good as an MP uinit but more affordable.

Ill tell you one thing my car never did was get hot. EXCEPT...when my spal fan was bad. It was spinning but to slow. The minute I changed to teh straight blade fan. Not a single issue. I also ran a 190 degree stat with a mike 38sc radiator. And my AC ran great. When running AC though the temps did climb but nowhere near the middle of my factory gague even. WHen I switched to Evans I thought it would run a bit hotter but instead it seemed to have run cooler even.

AND I never had my puller fan on

Damon and Mike Menke old car has been the only cars I personally know that dont have AC and overheating problems. Ive been chasing a solution for quite some time on my blue car, I might have had a solution with a larger fan but the freon dissapated and I was unable to test it in the summer time. I did seem to solve it some when I had the SPAL Xtreme fan but that fan died a slow death after a season.

Both of those cars have do have one thing in common. Hand made radiators made by Mike38SC.

Back