So now that the engine is fixed....the tranny went to hell.

Smkn600ctd

Started on Friday night, right after I heard the knocking from the crank pulley.

1-2 shift is late sometimes, other times right on. 2-3 shift slips every other time. While driving, it will slip/bang in cruising in 3rd or OD gear. Took it over to a friend of a friend who works as a tranny tech as a Aamco. He's thinking its the 2-3 accumulator piston seal may be torn/ripped.

The shop that did the engine install added tranny fluid. It started 100 miles after they did. When asked if it was Mercon V, they said it was "universal" tranny fluid. Maybe its the fluid that is no good????

Universal tranny fluid? :rolleyes:

Never heard of it and wouldn't trust it if it was real. Mercon V is pretty much incompatible with most other fluids.

wow they are really messing up. looks like they owe you a new tranny too :) thats a bummer though first engine than tranny :(

wolfs head?

"Wolf’s Head Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is such a superior transmission fluid that it may be used wherever established fluids are required or specified by American OEMs including General Motors approved Dexron® fluids including Dexron®VI; Ford Motor Company’s Mercon® approved fluids including Mercon® V; Chrysler approved fluids including ATF Plus +4.

Wolf’s Head Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is engineered to meet the stringent demands of transmissions manufactured by BMW, Honda, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi and Toyota. Extensive laboratory and field testing has proven this superior automatic transmission fluid meets or exceeds the performance requirements of automatic transmissions manufactured by American, European, Japanese, Korean, and many other vehicle manufactures around the world - it is truly universal and truly the one fluid you can use worldwide.

Wolf’s Head Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is compatible with traditional automatic transmission fluids whether used as a top-off or in a complete fluid change. Wolf’s Head Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is a premium multifunctional fluid offering excellent year-round protection, superior high-temperature and low-temperature operation, enhanced CVT and slip-lock performance, better anti-shudder protection long-life with extended drain capabilities."

Wolfs head is my choice. You have to consider a bunch of things. how many miles on the transmission? I see transmissions fail right after an engine job often. i am working on a camaro right now that I am putting an engine in. Just by the condition of the fluid I give the transmission 4 months at best. Weak old transmission + fresh new motor= Greater of the two wins.
Alan

Tranny is has about 15,000 miles on it.

Would them adding the wrong fluid to the tranny when they topped it off from the engine install/radiator trans lines being disconnected cause this.

On the freeway, you can floor it...no slip. 1-2 is shift is very positive, but sometimes seems late (3K rpm on light pedal), 2-3 will shift normal, or it will slip shift....and while in 3rd....slip/bump randomly.

Gonna pull the pan. If I don't see a ton of crap in it, I'll drain the converter and pull the valve body to get to the 2-3 accumulator. I stopped by Ford and picked up a 2-3 accumulator so I have one handy if it is torn up or its old style (but it shouldn't be the old style being that the trans was replaced by the old owner). Got 12 quarts of Mercon V along with a new filter.

As for the fluid that they put it, its wasn't Wolf's Head....that I know for sure. I saw him pour the fluid in, that's why I asked like ~~~ is that stuff, and he said universal fluid. Told him Mercon V is what it needed.

We'll see tomorrow......got my fingers crossed....along with my checkbook lol.

The cable is adjusted correctly?.?.or are we just assuming that?

1 tsp of Merc fluid in a CVT will smoke it. Not that we are dealing with that trans, but fluid is the life blood of any trans.

It's a 95.....so 4r70w. Pan was clean. Had the old style accumulator. Ripped the upper gasket, so waiting for ford to open to go get one.

Its alive and well!!!!

The trans has a transgo kit installed previously. The pan was spotless and clean.

New accumulator, new fluid and the valve body disassembled and cleaned....all is well. Had my transmission tech buddy take the valve body apart and clean/blww it out. Double checked all of the slide valves.

When I took the valve body off the car, there is a pressure relief valve (I think), that was part of the shift kit installed, that wasn't in its hole in the bracket, well its back where it belongs now.

It shifts way smoother, the 1-2 is still firmer than the rest, smooth but firm.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo happy it wasn't the actual trans. It was nice to finally drive it knowing everything is finally fixed.

Now time to drive it all weekend and break it in :D

I have it in my manual trans, I used it in my 91 auto, wolfs head is great stuff. I have used it in tons of customers cars without issue. On the back of the bottle, it lists the requirements of different fluid it meets.

I have it in my manual trans, I used it in my 91 auto, wolfs head is great stuff. I have used it in tons of customers cars without issue. On the back of the bottle, it lists the requirements of different fluid it meets.

I'm using the same stuff in my 93's AOD that was built to handle 1000 HP. I'm still using the standard stuff in my 91.

David

Back