What just happened?

birdlessmuz

So im sitting at light, after coming to a stop while in third gear light changed fast so I go to put into first and cant move shifter. ~~~ so ride the clutch in third to a parking lot where I try a few diffrent things, I rock car back and forth while trying to get out of gear, no luck, I then tried man handeling no luck. So what happened? Clutch? Synchros? Linkage? Please help me on tight budget under a tree in backyard so I need a plan of attack.

If,it is clutch whats a good replacement or step up?
Linkage where to get them?
Synchros?
Tranny swaps econolical and what tranny should I get would love,a 6 speed

I think these cars are a hydraulic clutch, if it was cable I'd say have someone work the clutch while you look under the car and look. But since you were able to feather the clutch and move out in third gear, I doubt you have a clutch problem. Can other gears be engaged (shifter moved)when the car is off, and trans is not spinning if the clutch were not releasing all the way?

I'm going to speculate that something happened with your shifter forks inside the trans and something broke off and is jambing it up.

I have a Daytona Shelby Z I picked up cheap, because the shifter forks inside the trans broke, and although in my case the shift lever could be moved around, and the linkage worked, nothing was being moved around and engaged inside the trans.

Correct I could use clutch but after a hundred feet or so it smelled well done.
Thr shifter feels welded in third I can not move it at all not even side to side where I had a bunch of play before,figuring need shifter bushings. So it sounds like tranny needs dropped.

I've seen at least 3 cases where the shift rod for the 3rd/4th gear synchro broke in the top cover leaving it stuck in 3rd. That's what it sounds like. If so the tranny will need to be removed so the top cover can be removed to have the shift rod checked. If that's what it is I have a good top cover available.

Back