My car said NO!

world b. free

Nice to meet everybody first of all.
I was pulling into the parking-lot and stomped my gas, but then I had to quickly step on the brakes, but my engine had built up boost and was trying to pull against my brakes! lOl, I almost could not get the thing stopped! Has this happened to anyone else??
'91SC Auto tranny

Last edited:
Damon,
Thats not what happened because I had my foot planted firmly on the brakes, but the car was still trying to pull hard!:confused:

Not trying to say your an idiot or anything but the likelyhood is that you were still on the throttle.

And yes, I know you swear you were on the brake and the car just kept going. Been there myself. Back when these cars were new I had a couple come into the shop and twice in a row I got the throttle instead of the brake and it was very frightening. I just KNEW I had the brake pedal and couldn't understand why it wasn't stopping and I pressed the pedal harder. Both times I panicked and switched the key off and coasted to a stop. Neither time did I understand what I had done.

Then I got a third one. This time I was very cautious and thats when I noticed it. The pedals are offset to the left just a bit when compared to other cars. This is due to the rather intrusive trans tunnel. Anyway when I would place my feet in the accustomed manner it turned out that the gas pedal was closer to where I was used to the brake pedal being and how I came to understand that unintended acceleration is usually driver error, and not Audi's fault :)

So if you're hopping between cars just sorta keep the pedal placement in mind.

I seriously doubt that's what happened to the man Parker Dean, because I have been over this with him being that he's my brother. I have driven the SC in question and it turns out that it happens exactly like he said it did. We plan on examining his bypass like Damon Bauman said. When I drove the car and it definately had issues.
dirtybirdie;)

strange!

Does it seem like the engine is not slowing down at all when you quickly press the brake? If you noticed, what were the rpms? Perhaps the throttle is sticking..

hmmm..

You may be right about the throttle sticking. To be honest with you it is sort of hard to make the car do this. It happens when you are at a dead stop, the turning left or right and you step on the throttle really hard, and then hit the brakes suddenly and firmly. At that point the engine acts like it is still "under-boost" and it is hard to make it stop. I done it and it pulled hard trying to resist the brakes. The resistance lasts for about 2 seconds or so, then it finally dies down again. Scary!:eek:
dirtybird91

Last edited:
Ahhh, I misunderstod the conditions required.

Ya know, with the turning situation in the picture I wonder if the ABS isn't getting into the act what with the speed differential side-to-side. Just a thought.

Anyway you know what the old country doctor would say here. "Well, don't DO that!" :D

Back