Pulling codes HELP!!!!

debo92sc

Ok boys and girls i need to help my mechanic out cause he is so busy right now and i want my car back! I am pretty nieve when it comes to this stuff but here goes. These are the codes that are pulled 14,25,43,52,62,121. If someone has a little spare time could someone give me some insight on these? The car seems to run ok but check engine light has been on since i got it? I have tried to look up some of these and its got my head spinning. Maybe someone can tell me what needs to be replaced fixed and maybe if there is a certain order lol. I would really appreciate anyones help at this point. Oh the car has bigger TB, bigger mass air, 5% pulley underdrives raised top cold air intake and i pretty sure thats it. Thanks again everybody.

Kyle

Kmt thank you for the response.... Does that mean these parts are bad? For example the code for the tps being ouy of range is it just a bad part? I think one of the ones u didnt know was a electronic control assembly? And the other said something about the trans axle or converter failure? Feel free to chime in everyone thanks

Kyle

your mechanic needs to clear the codes and then re-run the diagnostic tests, being sure to follow the proper test procedure. i.e. 121 and 52 and 25 may be due to the mechanic not following the procedure.

I don't have it with me, but at one of the points during the Key On Engine Running test the mechanic needs to press the throttle all the way to the floor and then release it. He also needs to cycle the steering wheel all the way to lock once. And maybe one other thing like brake or shift gears.

Thanks mike i will def have him rerun the codes again. I really miss being in detroit only for a reason like this cause my mechanics up there were so much more knowledgable! Does anybody know what the electronic control assembly (ECA) is? Or transaxle/converter failure would be? The car is a 5speed if that helps?

Kyle

Is the car hard to start? For example, it seems like sometimes you can turn the key and it fires right up. Other times you can turn the key and nothing and you might have to try 2 or 3 times before it will start?

If yes, and you have code 14, you should focus on the cam shaft position sensor and/or the wiring for said sensor.

An ECA could be anything. The SC has a ride control computer, a relay control module, an ABS control module and a engine control module. ECA is a bit too generic.

The SC doesn't have a converter or a transaxle. That sounds like a front wheel drive car problem.

The SC doesn't have a converter or a transaxle. That sounds like a front wheel drive car problem.

Correction - the SC has two transaxles, and if automatic, one converter. However, unless they mean "catalytic converter", then Debo92sc doesn't have one being 5 speed. And if they DO mean catalytic converter - it wouldn't be lumped with the transaxles.

HOWEVER - that error is a FWD error. Methinks that debo92sc is not accurately reading the codes. And if the SC is generating those codes, I'd lay good odds on the EEC having fits.

RwP

A transaxle is typically considered to be a device in which the transmission and differential assembly are a single component. The MN12 platform doesn't have one of those.

A transaxle is typically considered to be a device in which the transmission and differential assembly are a single component. The MN12 platform doesn't have one of those.

Hmm ... I've quite often seen IRS axles called transaxles.

Come to think of it, though, that's also usually on FWD cars.

I withdraw my comment - I was thinking of the two half shafts in the rear end.

RwP

14 - DTC 14 indicates two successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup pulses occured, resulting in possible engine miss or stall. Possible causes: Loose wires/connections, arcing secondary ignition components (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc), On-board transmitter (2-way radio).

Basically check all the plug and wires and connections, sometimes just cleaning the contacts on these old cars will get rid of a problem.

25 - Knock not sensed during dynamic response test. Usually this just means that the Key On, Engine Running test wasn't done correctly. I wouldn't worry about it.

52 - The steering wheel wasn't turned enough during the Key On Engine Running dynamic response test.

62 - Not an applicable code for the Thunderbird, re-run the test.

121- Throttle Position sensor's out of self-test range. Causes: binding throttle linkage, TP sensor may not be seated properly, damaged TP sensor, damaged PCM.

It sounds like he should re-run the test and also make note of which codes are from the Engine running test and which ones are continuous codes that the computer has stored. It makes a difference for troubleshooting a problem.

If your mechanic is busy you can get the codes yourself if you have some time and patience. Just search the forums for how to pull the codes or go to Google and search there for how to run Key on Engine Off and Key on Engine Running self-test for an EEC-VI car. It's pretty simple and only takes about ten minutes to run the test a few times to be sure of the codes.

God i love this website! You have been an awesome help i really appreciate all your reponses! From what im getting out of this is my mechanic is either an idiot or just was in a rush to pull these? Im gonna go back this week and do it with him and make sure the proceedure is done correctly! Thank you guys again!

Kyle

Back