At what point is the stock exhaust a gasket blower?

tyrsmkkyle

its an 89 xr7 5 spd The only things I have done to my car is an fmic.. now id like to od the blower A bit. My cats are gutted.. I have tail pipes but no mufflers. I was thinking about the spinning wheels kit that comes with a belt.. Its been said to be around 7% od. Keep in mind i Dont have a wideband yet and am on a stock fuel system.Thanks guys and HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I dunno, but what I'd seriously consider doing is the Mandrel Exhaust Systems system with either the front X pipe or the front resonator, and (for now!) straight pipes for the rear mufflers (don't weld them on, use clamps!).

RwP

The exhaust doesn't blow headgaskets. I really wish this old wives tale would die already. On the other hand, running out of fuel will. 7% will max out the stock fuel injectors and/or fuel pump.

its an 89 xr7 5 spd The only things I have done to my car is an fmic.. now id like to od the blower A bit. My cats are gutted.. I have tail pipes but no mufflers. I was thinking about the spinning wheels kit that comes with a belt.. Its been said to be around 7% od. Keep in mind i Dont have a wideband yet and am on a stock fuel system.Thanks guys and HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I don't think adding 7% OD is going to hurt anything. Rather than change the superchrger pulley, I would suggest getting a 5% OD jackshaft pulley. It's a lot easier to change and will have less belt slip than using a smaller supercharger pulley.

David

thanks for the replies fellas. I really need to get a wideband on this thing. Il check out some jackshaft pullies. If anyone reading this has 5 over jackshaft pulley they would let go shoot me a pm. what kinda boost numbers should i expect with a 5 over js pulley?

Last edited:
The 7% one is fine,me and several others run that one with gutted cats and straight pipes.good price and get a new belt as well!

Back