pistons above deck

Superloop

Hey gentlemen I have a quick question. I am assembling the engine for my sc and I noticed the pistons go past the deck on the block; I measured between .35 and .40 mm above deck. What do y'all think? Is that ok?
I have wiseco pistons with aftermarket rods I got from DD.

Attachments

• DSCN2918.JPG
    DSCN2918.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Its ok if thats how the motor build is spec'd out. Gives you more compression.

But i would guess the deck has been shaved previously and that was not taken into account. Or measured wrong.

The head gasket adds to the deck hight so you may be ok, but I would talk to Dave before you go any further.

Contact DD for feedback. You should take time and measure the actual deck height on that motor. Mine were .010 above the deck (as specified) which works out to 0.254mm above deck.

You should check piston to valve clearance regardless.

Sounds like its going to be too tight. I think the head gasket is .040"-.042" and your .015"+ (.40mm) out of the hole that would only give you .025" clearance.

From the Wiseco FAQ section. "What is minimum piston to head clearance?

A. Rod material, the mass of the piston, and piston-speed are the factors that determine this. Steel rods in a big block usually require .045. Steel rods in small blocks require at least .036. Most imports can get by with as little as .030. Aluminum Rods generally require .010 more clearance than steel rods. *Remember, the compressed gasket thickness can vary from .025 in steel shim applications to .040 for composite and up to .100 for some copper gaskets"

It turns out that I wasn't measuring correctly :rolleyes: Most pistons are .010 or less above deck. It made my day:D Now just waiting for more parts to get the sc going and see what that twin screw can do

Nice been a long time coming

Yes it has! It would be done already if it weren't for lack of motivation and money. Mostly money. Sometimes I really don't know why I throw so much money at this car and cars in general:rolleyes: Something has to be wrong with me:eek:

Yes it has! It would be done already if it weren't for lack of motivation and money. Mostly money. Sometimes I really don't know why I throw so much money at this car and cars in general:rolleyes: Something has to be wrong with me:eek:

You are Ricardo's twin brother, separated at birth. :D

Lol nice I wonder that myself. Although Ive been a little happier the past few years. Taking it easy is the way to go with these cars, Ive by necessity have have had to slow it down, and its been more fun to watch others push their own limits.

Lol nice I wonder that myself. Although Ive been a little happier the past few years. Taking it easy is the way to go with these cars, Ive by necessity have have had to slow it down, and its been more fun to watch others push their own limits.

I plan on pushing my limits one day:rolleyes: And my pistons come out of the block too. The original builder made a boo bo. His solution was cut pockets in the heads.

Ken

On my new motor with the Wiseco pistons and H beam rods that I got from Dave D, the piston tops are just below the deck. I didn't measure the amount but it looked like about .5mm. The Fel-Pro MLS gaskets are supposed to be available in .010 extra thick.

The over thick gaskets are actually for the 99 to 04, 3.8 V6 Mustangs. What other differences there are, I'm not sure. Will they work Ok? I don't know that either. Perhaps Dave D. can help here.
26505PT left
26506PT right

Back