no spark 92SC

Icebird

Hi there
I am here in the north Atlantic ocean, in a land called Iceland. I have this awesome SC Bird 92 that won't start. It has a new 3,8 motor that I put in and a new cam sensor, new crank sensor, new ignition module, new coil pack, I did all the timing procedure and that twice ;) .Went over the plugs and ground wires, and the connection. But still no spark. I plug a scan in it and all the scan said was run engine but it wont start so I cant run it :mad: :). I am out of ideas .We went over the firing order and that is correct and twice ;). The funny thing is that I drove the car in the garage and turned it off and pulled the motor out. I tried all the old modules and sensors and no luck :mad:. So all suggestions are appreciated :)

Thanks in advance
Palli

If it was running before you pulled the motor, then you have likely missed a connector. Do you have power to the coil pack? Have you checked all fuses? Are you getting injector pulse?

Having pulled and installed my engines too many times I agree with Dean. I have missed connectors, forgot to bolt up the EGR once, forgot to tighten a coolant hose, twice. etc, etc.

When I've been meticulous about these things, the cars have always started first turn of the key.

Good luck tracking it down.

Sean

Hi there
I bought it long time ago I think it was from some rebuild company ?

Palli

Are you sure it's an SC engine....

I'm with the other guys and think it might be a connection problem, but just want to eliminate all possibilities....

Check your grounds. If it's an auto you need to make sure the neutral safety switch is hooked up.

My .000000002 ¢

One more thing to check as this happed to me once. I put the main harness back on its block and forgot to tighten the bolt all the way. Just so you know also this ignition system fires 2 plugs at a time and make sure your crank sensor is propely gapped. It should not touch the stator wheel. Do a search on here also on where 12 volts should be at coil. Hope you get it figured out.

with all you said new crank sensor and all im thinking there is a ground wire on the back of the drivers side head i would be looking at . or crank sensor rubbed the balancer and got ruined

good luck ralph

Hi there guy´s
Thanks for all the interest and reply´s. The motor is SC it has all the marks on it, About the connectors I reconnect it 3 times already but but nobody is perfect hehehe :). The ground wire thing is good point . There is two in the front.They are connected and one from the motor mount and to the head .When I did the timing I let him blow out of the spark plug hole and put it on 26 btc and used the special tool for the cam sensor .But there is some change he is 180° wrong . I am stared to think this is some timing prob that is killing me or some adjustment thing. The fuel pump comes on and shut down all the lights come in the dash and it starts good.You hear all the relays click.When I put it in I check the gab and it was the same on the both sides and did not touch the damper so that shout work ;) .So I am going again at it on Wednesday and keep on checking those things you guys flip up here ;)
Thanks for the fast response

Palli

Last edited:
Are you using all of the original engine wiring harness and DIS....

I've seen some different wiring issues on 92s.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi there guy´s
Thanks for all the interest and reply´s. The motor is SC it has all the marks on it, About the connectors I reconnect it 3 times already but but nobody is perfect hehehe :). The ground wire thing is good point . There is two in the front.They are connected and one from the motor mount and to the head .When I did the timing I let him blow out of the spark plug hole and put it on 26 btc and used the special tool for the cam sensor .But there is some change he is 180° wrong . I am stared to think this is some timing prob that is killing me or some adjustment thing. The fuel pump comes on and shut down all the lights come in the dash and it starts good.You hear all the relays click.When I put it in I check the gab and it was the same on the both sides and did not touch the damper so that shout work ;) .So I am going again at it on Wednesday and keep on checking those things you guys flip up here ;)
Thanks for the fast response

Palli

Palli,

Cam scyncro stalk is supposed to be set with motor at 26 degrees AFTER TDC with the number 1 cylinder on the compression stroke, not 26 BTDC. Try unplugging the cam position sensor and see if it starts. It make take up to 3 tries before the computer correctly guesses the cam position. If it starts with it unplugged, you know the stalk is installed wrong.

David

I unplugged the cam shaft sensor and big nothing so now start the search for the lost spark ;).But thanks guys for all the hints and tips and I have learn allot on this search.I will keep you updated on this until I have found this out. :) Now is just smile and think happy thoughts :)

Palli

Last edited:
Review this thread and the link available there:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25523&highlight=start+pinpoint

Have someone help you when trying to start. Watch the upshift light to see if it is flashing when no start. If flashing, indicates no crank shaft position sensor reading.

For spark there needs to be 12vdc at the DIS module, and at the Coil pack when the ignition is on and engine cranking.

You should have someone help you so someone can try to start, while you check voltages with a meter while being careful of moving engine parts.

Note, no start could be related to an ignition switch problem as well. Thus checking for 12vdc at the dis and coil pack with key on. That comes from the IRCM behind the passenger side headlight.

Hi Mike
This info is gold ;) and the other thread from you. I am going to make the test lamp and start to search for the missing spark ;).Thanks again .

Palli

Back