fuel tank questions, MKVIII

1fstb1rd

Hey guys, i got a line on a 97 mark VIII tank in my area, and i need a tank asap to get my car back on the road, i searched and searched with no luck, but does anyone know if the steel 97 MK8 tank will fit an early model bird? thanks in advance.

Hey guys, i got a line on a 97 mark VIII tank in my area, and i need a tank asap to get my car back on the road, i searched and searched with no luck, but does anyone know if the steel 97 MK8 tank will fit an early model bird? thanks in advance.

I have a 94 Mark VIII gas tank and it's the exact same as my 92 SC tank.

It is close, but there are differences that would have to be addressed. The steel tank has a similar exhaust layout to the later style tbird tank, but the later style tbird exhaust will barely hit it in a couple places. You could simply dimple the tank with a ball peen hammer in the couple spots, and it will work with the later style exhaust, or if you have access to the exhaust off the same MarkVIII that the tank came out of, you can run the rear section of the MarkVIII exhaust around the tank. Also, the fuel pump and sender assembly is different between the 2 tanks, so you would have to pull it out and swap your tbird fuel pump onto the MarkVIII sending unit assembly in order for it to work. None of these things make it impossible to put a 97/98 MarkVIII tank in, but it isn't simply a bolt-in swap, and if you have access to a plastic tbird tank, that would be the easier swap.

damn, that sucks, i guess ill have to keep a lookout for a plastic tank, called 100 auto wreckers in a 60 mile radius, no one has one..well one place wanted like 250 so yeah, ill keep looking, thanks for all the help guys.

Actually, I have a 94SC here that I'm going to be parting out soon. If you want the tank and stock rear exhaust section out of it, just make me an offer on it.

oh your in jersey, durr, i dont need the exhaust, i got a new flowmaster exhaust for it, i just need the tank, when you parting it out?

i wanna say a place in parsippany, im not sure as i was rolling though the phone book looking. they said 50 bucks without sender 100 with it. if you want me to find out i can no problem ill find the number and name.

i wanna say a place in parsippany, im not sure as i was rolling though the phone book looking. they said 50 bucks without sender 100 with it. if you want me to find out i can no problem ill find the number and name.

I'd appreciate it, thanks!

ill pm you tomorrow when i get it figured out, im not sure of shape.."good" can mean alot of different things to alot of different people, ill try to find out the best i can.

You need to head to the Allentown, PA area. Every junkyard around has plenty of them. I pick one up for $40.

Last edited:
well VINCES has one, he is in lansdale, but you gotta understand thats gonna be a almost full day of driving, and probably 50 bucks in gas, and i got an accord!:eek: roughly 175 miles or so

Just a heads up, there is a difference in gas tanks. The 89-91 are different from the 92-97 (93-98 Mark VIII) tanks to accomodate different exhaust routings. To put a later style tank into an early style car, you need the later syle exhaust too.

Back