Clutch and brake questions

BlackbirdSc94

I went to check out a 5 speed today and when I got in to test drive it I go to push in the clutch and it went about 60-70% to the floor before I got any resistance from the clutch, I took it for a drive down the street and back and it shifted through the gears fine but theres like 3 inches of clutch travel to work with. Surprisingly it wasnt that hard to drive the car though. What could be causing that issue. The guy said him and a "professional" mechanic had did the clutch themselves so I dont know any history but Im trying to see what it would take to fix it before i go buy it. Cars a mess on the exterior and the interiors seen better days too but I could use it for a winter car/ daily driver and keep the red goblin out of the rain snow and salt

Also on my car, sometimes when Im driving the brake light will come on while coming to a stop. It most always does if the abs is activated, I dont know if anyone elses car does this but when I shut the car off I get about 1 and a half pedal presses and the brake pedal gets stiff enough to stand on but it does not apply the pressure to the rotors, like if I park on a SLIGHT incline and forget to apply the parking break and take my foot off the regular break and press it again it wont stop the car only slightly slow it from its 1mph speed. I swear if my car cut off while I was driving I think I would be screwed if something was in front of me:(

At one point I could push on the pedal multiple times really fast and hard while the car was running and it would bog down and sometimes die. :confused:

Also on my car, sometimes when Im driving the brake light will come on while coming to a stop.
You need a new accumulator. Don't panic, but it you don't fix it, eventually you'll lose braking assist and the car will be hard to stop (this is a bad thing). As is it, your ABS isn't working, and your rear brakes are probably working 1/2 the time. Search the forums for info. Its almost routine maintenance.

Last edited:
You need a new accumulator. Don't panic, but it you don't fix it, eventually you'll lose braking assist and the car will be hard to stop (this is a bad thing). As is it, your ABS isn't working, and your rear brakes are probably working 1/2 the time. Search the forums for info. Its almost routine maintenance.

Well i was thinking it might be that but everytime i search people say the pedal gets hard with the engine on but nobody said anything about with the car off and also my abs works when i losed traction so i didnt know if this was the same problem with diffrent systoms or something completly diffrent, does anyone have a idea about the guys clutch problem?? Thanks for your input ScFan

Well it could be a few things, air in the clutch line, a bad slave cyl, or a bad master. i think a slave is good as long as its not leaking, so that would leave you with air in the line/slave or a bad master, i would bleed it, and see where that puts you. if it doesnt help, the master is prob in bad shape and gonna have to get replaced.

Well it could be a few things, air in the clutch line, a bad slave cyl, or a bad master. i think a slave is good as long as its not leaking, so that would leave you with air in the line/slave or a bad master, i would bleed it, and see where that puts you. if it doesnt help, the master is prob in bad shape and gonna have to get replaced.

where would I be looking for leaks at if it were the either the slave or master cylinder

There is a black rubber "plug" on the left side of the trans, get a helper and a flashlight, have your helper press the clutch repeatedly, you'll see the throw out bearing move into the fingers, look at the end of the bearing that's your slave, look to see if it's wet or leaking fluid, also note how much fluid is in the reservoir. Also check the line where it meets with the slave and the line in general, of it's not leaking then you either have air in it or a bad master. Keep us posted

Back