90 SC in NJ Need Tech advice/ideas

NJ90SC

I have a 1990 SC auto Its been disabled for about a week now and I wanted to get some ideas from the Super Coupe Vets on this forum I was driving home and my sc started making this squeeking noise and it was a constant "Squeek Squeek Squeek Squeek" like a revolution. I got to about 50 mph and it stopped about 5 miles down the road it started again this time I pulled over I hopped out left the car running it was idling fine and did a quick check I didnt see anything to raise any concern. I continued on my way home and on the way I came to a stop light while slowing down my oil pressure dropped for a sec or 2 and came right back up when I got on the throttle. After that happened I made it probably another 3 miles and came to another light this time the light turned green I got on the throttle and it didnt wanna move I was losing all power I got it up to about 35mph and It shut down I lost everything I even lost my PS. I got it towed home and tried to give it a crank I got in turned the key and it fired up it took a couple more cranks than usual but it started and shut down 5 secs later and it smelled kinda like a clutch but obviously its an automatic so now Im lost. The motor was put in not even a year ago 04/2011 I bought a motor complete from oil pan to intake from Randall Burnett and completed it with my motor I spun the bearing in I put a new melling oil pump(Caused previous Failure) in it every gasket/seal was replaced and It ran absolutly flawlessly Does anybody have any ideas Would a SC siezure cause this cause thats the only thing I can come up with because there were zero warning signs leading up to this. NEED HELP ASAP

Attachments

• IMG_20111204_135120.jpg
    IMG_20111204_135120.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 68
try disconnecting the air conditioner and see if that helps. Sounds stupid but you have described a problem I developed when the ac clutch or compressor locked on my car. May not be it but it could save you time also.

I think your motor is toast.....:(

Pull the dip stick out and take a look at the oil on it.....

Is it clean or does it have sparkles (bearing material) in it....

I've had an AC clutch lock up on me as well....:rolleyes:

Check for red rust around the clutch and the drive belt.....

x3 on the ac

I'll agree with checking the ac clutch bearing. Next step is remove all the serpentine belts and see if the noise is still there. Don't run the engine long as the water pump will not function. If the squeak is gone the problem is in one of your accessories. Cross your fingers.
JJ

I havent really had any time to start trouble shooting yet. The only thing Ive done is try and start it and it took a couple extra cranks but it fired up then died a couple seconds later. But that was 2 days later would it have started that long after malfunction if it were a Spark Fuel or Compression problem? The block and everything on the bottom end was refreshed less than a year ago

First thing I would do would be remove the belts one at a time to see if that gets it to go away. If the car starts, then I doubt it would be something ignition or fuel related. The oil pressure dropping is not a good sign, but if it was dropping because the motor was about to stall due to one of the accessories locking up, then that could explain it. Usually when a rod bearing goes, you don't notice any lack of power, and it is usually accompanied with a knocking from the engine as well as the squeak, so I wouldn't condemn the motor before thoroughly checking all other possibilities. Also, check the fluids in the car, oil and coolant to make sure you aren't loosing any or getting any mixing from them. If the fluids are good, and it still makes the noise with the belts off, that is when you need to start looking at possibly something internal in the motor, or even possibly in the trans.

First thing I would do would be remove the belts one at a time to see if that gets it to go away. If the car starts, then I doubt it would be something ignition or fuel related. The oil pressure dropping is not a good sign, but if it was dropping because the motor was about to stall due to one of the accessories locking up, then that could explain it. Usually when a rod bearing goes, you don't notice any lack of power, and it is usually accompanied with a knocking from the engine as well as the squeak, so I wouldn't condemn the motor before thoroughly checking all other possibilities. Also, check the fluids in the car, oil and coolant to make sure you aren't loosing any or getting any mixing from them. If the fluids are good, and it still makes the noise with the belts off, that is when you need to start looking at possibly something internal in the motor, or even possibly in the trans.

I got underneath the car today and took a look could a rear main cause What I was hearing and the malfunction that occured?

If you can duplicate the sound check if it is coming from between the engine and transmission. If this is the case you may have a ballooned torque converter.

your about 2 hours from me, i was gonna offer some help if you were a little closer, the only advice i can give you is isolate as many things as possible.

I would definitely suggest taking the belts off first. It's really easy; you only need an 18mm wrench. That would rule out a locked up supercharger, which definitely could cause a problem like this.

Browns Mills Its in Burlington County Im right outside Of Fort Dix and McGuire AFB

I am working right near there for the next couple of weeks. I might possibly be able to stop by and take a look at lunch or in the late afternoon. (Not sure how deep I could get into it, though, since I have to drive back to PA.)

Back